3 - Caspian

"Took you long enough. Sit." Master Luke says, cutting off your laugh and you both sit down quietly.

"Welcome, to my Jedi Academy. You have all been chosen because you are all force-sensitive, some of you more than others." He says glancing from student to student.

"You all have much to learn and I will do my best to teach you everything I know and pass of the Jedi ways to another generation of Jedi. I will teach you the ways of the Force and Balance as well as training in combat with a lightsaber." He continues, at the mention of lightsabers whispers break out from the students, you included.

"What colour do you want your lightsaber to be?" Ben whispers, leaning over to you.

"I don't know actually, I hadn't really thought about it." You whisper back, trying to think of a colour.

"Really? I want mine to be green." He murmurs and leans back over.

"Training starts tomorrow at dawn, I expect you all to be there. I will not wake you up or wait for you if you are not there. Use the rest of your afternoons to settle in." Master Luke finishes. He turns around and disappears around a wall and conversation burst from the room. Some students stayed to explore the temple while other left to explore the rest of the planet, you and Ben included.

"What do you want to do now?" Ben asks as you two walk back to his hut.

"I don't know, we can go explore he forest unless you just want to go back to our huts?" You reply.

"I would like to go for a walk in the forest, how about you?" He asks gesturing to the forest. You nod and walk towards the forest. You and Ben walk for hours talking about anything. From the droids you found on your old planet to what colour you wanted your lightsaber to be. You decide on purple. Like the Master Windu that you heard about in stories. It all seemed so foreign to you, the Jedi, and yet you found yourself training to be one. You looked up at the sky and saw that it was completely dark, the stars shining above you. You look up at the two moons above you and smile. While admiring the sky, you hear a branch snap and are shaken from you trance.

"What was that?" You ask Ben, looking around for my signs of movement.

"I don't know." He says scanning the trees. Suddenly the brush in front of you rustles and both your eyes dart to the bush. Ben stands in front of you ready to protect you. You are touched by his actions but are sure that after eleven years of living in a junkyard you are capable of looking after yourself. You stand in front of him and wait for the thing to emerge. Ben glances down at you but makes no effort to get in front again. The bush begins to rustle more dragging your attention from each other, then before your eyes the bush transforms into a creature. It's about the size of a large dog, with ears that stand straight up and eyes the colour of the ocean. It was brown with blackish patches along its back and a fluffy tail behind it. It resembled a cat like creature but it also sort of reminded you of a dog thing that one of your dads customers had as a pet. You glanced back at Ben who looked both terrified and curious at the same time. You crouched down in front of it, meeting its eyes with yours. You could see the reflecting of the stars in it eyes, and the more you stared into them the bigger they got. You went to reach out to it, curiosity getting the best of you even though your conscious screams no. You have your arm half extended in front of you and the creature suddenly realizes you are reaching for it. It growls but you continue to extend your arm. It growls louder the closer you get but something inside you tells you to keep pushing.

"Y/N." Ben says quietly, watching from behind you. You ignore him and keep extending your arm until it is completely outstretched only inches from the creatures snout. It's growling so loud you are sure Master Luke could hear it from the Academy. You close your eyes preparing to feel your hand being torn apart but instead you feel soft fur and warm breath against your hand. You reopen your eyes and see that the creature has pressed it face against your hand. You smile and glance up at Ben who has a blank expression on his face. He looks down at you and smiles before crouching beside you. You begin to slowly rub your hand against the creature's head and it leans into your touch. You remove your hand and see the creature walk closer to you, wanting more. You nudge Ben in the side to tell him that he should try. He glares at you before swallowing and slowly extending his hand. The creature begins to back up as Ben extends his arm even more. The creature begins growling again like it did with you and you give a reassuring look to Ben to tell him that it's alright. Once his arm is completely extended and the creature is growling loudly again you signal to Ben to close his eyes and he does. Surely enough the creature gives in and presses its head into Ben's hand. A smile immediately creeps across his face as he opens his eyes. You both pet the creature smiling, not saying a word, just enjoying the moment.

"What are we going to call it?" Ben whispers in your ear as he relaxes.

"Well for starters we won't call him it." You retort, teasing him.

"Wait how do you know it's a him?" He asks looking from you to the creature and then back to you.

"I don't know, I just gotta feeling." You say quickly glancing between the creatures legs to confirm your feeling. Sure enough you were correct and your mind starts to think of a name.

"Well how about Caspian?" Ben chirps, clearly proud of his choice.

"Caspian. I like it." You reply, looking up at Ben.

"Caspian, what do you think?" Ben asks the creature, and he just jumps on Ben nuzzling into his shoulder.

"I think he likes you." You laugh, watching as Ben and Caspian roll around in the grass.

"I think so too." Ben answers through laughs. When you both calm down and Caspian has stopped tackling Ben, you look up at the stars and think of how late it must be. You are supposed to be up at dawn and there probably only a few hours left for sleep.

"It's getting late Ben, we should probably get back. We have to be up for dawn remember?" You say getting up.

"Oh shit, yeah." He says, getting up too. He bends down and pets Caspian on the head.

"Bye buddy, we'll be back later, right Y/N?" Ben says looking from Caspian to you. They both look up at you with puppy eyes and you couldn't refuse.

"Of course, I'm sure Master Luke will give us some extra time. Now Caspian you can't follow us, we don't know if Master Luke will allow you in the camp." You say bending down over Caspian. He looks up at you as if he understands you. You and Ben walk together back to the Academy with Caspian trailing several feet behind you.

"Caspian you can't come with us ok? We'll be back soon ok buddy?" You and Ben would say but he would continue to follow you. When you reached the edge of the forest, you both had given up in Caspian and figured if he followed you, he followed you. You walked out of the forest side by side and turned around. Surprisingly Caspian was standing at the edge of the forest looking at you. You smile and wave and then a bark like roar echoes through the forest and you and Ben watch as Caspian disappears back into the depths of the forest. You finish the walk to your huts in silence listening to the sounds of the forest and the lake. You reach your hut and you go to enter your hut but Ben grabs you arm and turns you around.

"Goodnight Y/N." He says letting go of your arms. He smiles effortlessly as you do too.

"Goodnight Ben." You yawn, exhaustion of the day hitting you like a brick.

"I'll wait for you out here at dawn." He says, still smiling from ear to ear.

"I'll try not to keep you waiting. See you in the morning." You say and go to enter your hut, hearing Ben whisper back "See you," before the door shuts behind you. You quickly change into the black loose clothes that you thought were your sleeping wear. And like your Jedi outfit, they fit oddly perfectly. You almost collapse on your bed as you lie down and cover yourself with blankets. You shut your eyes and drift of to sleep, dreaming of the days to come spent with Ben and Caspian.