4 - The Crystal

"Y/N!" Ben yells, banging on your door. You are woken from your sleep by Ben's voice. You sit up in your bed and throw the covers off of you. You jump off of your bed and scramble to get dressed into your Jedi clothes.

"Hold on, hold on I'm coming." You yell back as our finish getting dressed. You were running to the door when you tripped over the box from earlier yesterday. You were about to leave it when you hear the whispering again. The banging on your door continues, but you are determined to find out what's in the box.

"Give me a minute!" You yell back trying to find that spot on the edge that wasn't smooth. You found it and pressed on the small piece of wood that stuck out. A sucking sound emerges from the box as it clicks and opens. You see a piece of brown fabric and on top of it a small crystal.

"Y/N I'm going to leave without you if you don't hurry the hell up." Ben calls out, banging on your door almost breaking it. Without thinking you grab the crystal and stick it in your pocket. You close the box and put it under your bed and run out the door.

"What took you so long?" Ben says glaring at you.

"I had trouble...uh getting changed." You reply making sure the crystal is still with you. You feel relieved when you feel the cold rock against your skin.

"Sure." He says smirking at you.

"Can I ask you a question?" You ask, picking up your pace as you speed-walk towards the temple. Ben lengthens his stride to keep up with your speed before saying,

"Sure." He answers.

"In your room, is there a small wooden box under your bed?" You ask, wondering if everyone had the same box that you did.

"A box? No. I don't remember seeing anything besides my drawers and chairs. Why?" He responds, looking down at you with a confused look on his face. You debated telling him about the box or just pretending to ask. You decide that since he is your friend now, he has the right to know.

"Well, I found this box under my bed and it had no opening whatsoever, only a small piece of wood sticking out from the rest. I pressed it and it opened. There was some brown material in there, I didn't really look at it too much but there was this." You say, pulling out the crystal from your pocket. You watch as his eyes go wide with surprise.

"You realize what that is, don't you?" He asks, as if it's obvious. You shrug shyly and look at the ground. He stops and places his hand on your shoulder, stopping you and forcing you to meet his gaze.

"This...this is what's inside a lightsaber. This is the centre and the fuel to it. It's a something crystal I can't remember the name off the top of my head but my mother told me about them." He says placing his hand out in front of you. Trusting him, you place the white crystal in his palm. He brings it up to his face and inspects it closely.

"This is so cool. I wonder if we get our lightsabers today." He says hopefully, placing the crystal back in your hand as you both start walking again.

When you reach the temple you find out that you are not the last people to come. You sit down with the rest of the students and wait for the other students and Master Luke to arrive. It's still dark outside and the sun is just beginning to rise meaning that training would begin soon. When the sun is partially through it's rise and it is officially dawn, sure enough Master Luke comes out from behind one of the walls as he said he would. Just as Master Luke walks over to the students, the last student runs into the temple out of breath. Master Luke shoots them a glare but continues to walk over to you.

"Morning, my young padawans. I'm glad to see you could all make it here on time with no trouble." Master Luke starts, staring at the student who almost came in late.

"In today's lesson you will build your weapon. The lightsaber. With it comes great power but I will warn you, training with a lightsaber requires a lot of work and is very dangerous so I caution you to be careful. I have all the parts that you will need and I will take you through the lesson step by step." He finishes, signalling for the group of students to follow him as he turns and disappears behind a wall. You follow him and see several tables set up with metal parts separated for each student.

"Find a station and don't touch anything until I give you further instruction." Master Luke instructs and you follow. You and Ben get a table in the middle of the room.

"Now does anybody know what is in a lightsaber? What is the centre, the power source of this weapon?" He asks and nobody speaks up, clearly afraid of being wrong. Out of pure instinct you speak up.

"I believe it's some sort of crystal." You say shyly and fell everyone's eyes shift to you. You bow your head to avoid eye contact.

"That is correct, Y/N." Luke smiles at you and continues his lesson.

"I will each give you crystal and you are to put it in the correct spot in your saber." He says before going around the room handing out white crystals identical the one you found in the box. When he gets to you, he glances down at your pocket and smiles. He then skips you and continues handing out crystals to all the other students. You look at Ben and shrug. He shrugs back and you are left questioning your actions.

"Now here are the instructions." Luke says, listing off the instructions carefully and sternly.

"Are there any questions?" He asks, taking a deep breath. One student from the back of the room speaks up.

"Do we get to choose the colour of our lightsabers?" They squeak.

"No I'm afraid not. See as soon as you were assigned that crystal, the colour is already decided. One colour is not better that the other and if you do not like your colour than too bad because that it all you are getting. And no trading crystals or sabers, they are built by you and respond to you, and no one else. Any other questions?" He finishes, sighing deeply. Everyone stays quiet.

"Well then. Off you go." He says and everyone begins to assemble their saber. You look to Ben once and smile. He smiles back and gives you a thumbs up before beginning to start his lightsaber. You watch for a few seconds as he searches through pieces before pulling out the crystal from your pocket and begin creating your own saber.