Chapter 17

Kevin made himself comfortable on Adie's bed, perfectly happy to watch her hang several new outfits Devon had bought her in the wardrobe.

Adie paused over the diamante-studded, black dress, caressing the silk as it ran through her fingers.

"We can't hide this from him for much longer," Kevin chastised. "I understand your reluctance to have him know that we're mated, but you're a Shaman and there's no way you can withhold that kind of information. Too many people know already. The kid's mother has already told several of her friends, who have probably told other friends. You know how fast these things spread."

"Nicolas actually has very good taste in women's clothing." Adie purposely changed the subject. "I'm surprised he knew what size to get. Although," she continued, giving it a second thought, "given the way he studied me when I opened the door wearing nothing but a towel last night, I guess I'm not too surprised really."

Kevin tensed and growled low in his throat. "He had better keep his eyes to himself," he threatened, making Adie giggle happily, because her diversion tactic worked.

She held the dress against her and studied her reflection in the mirror. "I like this one. What do you think?"

"Hmm?" he asked distractedly, plotting in his mind how he was going to dispose of Nicolas. "Oh yeah, nice, but you'd look good in a bin bag. Why did he see you in a towel?"

She hung the dress and rummaged through the remaining bags. "When he brought my dinner tray," she said from the depths of the last bag, withdrawing a one-piece, strapless, black body edged with delicate lace, and a pair of shear stockings.

Seeing the garment dangling from her fingertips, Kevin's voice dropped several octaves lower; his words sounding more like a growl. "Why the hell did he buy you that?" He stood up, his chest heaving with his deepened breathing as he fought to control his rising temper. "If he thinks he's going to get the chance to see you in that..."

"Kevin!" Adie yelled, finally snagging his attention after several attempts. "It's standard underwear for a dress like that. Relax, okay? The only person who's going to see me in this is me."

He had the grace to look sheepish when his temper cooled enough for him to see reason. "It'd better be. I mean, if I don't get to see you in that scrap of fabric, no-one else can either."

"Good save." After looking around the floor for another bag she may have missed, she sighed. "I have a problem. There aren't any shoes and I can't very well wear a dress like that with these." She pointed to her feet, wiggling her old, off-white sneakers. "And I've no make-up. Is there somewhere I can get some? Do you think Bonnie would have shoes I could borrow?"

"Why don't you ask her?" He tossed her his phone after looking up the number. "Just hit the green button."

Bonnie answered after several rings, "Hey Kev, what up?"

"Hi bonnie, It's Adie. I'm in a bit of a jam and I was hoping you could help me out. Devon is insisting I go with him to some fundraising thing for the Governor tonight and I've no shoes or make-up. He had someone get me a gorgeous, black dress and sexy as sin underwear, but no suitable shoes." She chuckled at Kevin's growl when she mentioned the underwear.

"Can you come over? Bring the dress and you can get ready here. Becca is a genius with a hairdryer and make-up brush, and I'm sure one of us will have a pair of heels in your size."

She relayed to Kevin who shrugged. "I'll just let the others know where we're headed. We'll need to be back for six."

Bonnie heard him and suggested, "Tell him to drop you off. He can pick you up at quarter to."