Chapter 23

The squeak of the window hinges had her cringing when she pushed it open. She poked her head out, gingerly looking around for any sign of activity nearby. As it became apparent that no-one had heard them protesting, the breath she hadn't realised she'd been holding left her in a sudden, relieved rush. A small ledge, created by the roof of the room below, made for an excellent standpoint from which to launch herself at the tree growing closest to the house. She crept toward the edge, being careful of her footing, and called for the trunk to bend a little closer and catch her as she flew, arms flailing, into its waiting branches.

Footsteps tapped a rhythm on the porch decking seconds later when a guard approached from around the corner of the house. Adie froze in place, willing him not to look up as he passed within feet below her. He stopped and sniffed the air, looking left and right. Adie held her breath, the sound of her accelerated heart rate hammering in her ears.

He reached across his chest and pressed a button on the side of the radio attached to his shirt pocket. "Eastside clear. I'm taking my break now; any of you want a coffee?" The radio squawked four times. "Roger that. Back out in ten." He spun on his heel and entered the house through the front door, allowing it to slam at his back.

She had to assume the four squawks meant there were four others close by, possibly more if they worked in pairs. After edging her way down to the ground and to the far side of the tree trunk, she gathered her wits and listened intently for minute noises; anything that would give away the positions of the guards. A sniffle to the left about twenty metres away; a cough straight ahead on the far side of the tall hedged border; rhythmic scratching followed by ticking of claws on wood around the far side of the adjacent building; lastly, the scrape and hiss of a match being struck, it's flame illuminating a face as he lit a cigarette.

Deciding that stealth was her best course of action she crept from the shadows, tiptoeing across the soft grass to the trash area to hide behind the bins. Again she listened before crawling on her knees under the kitchen window, warily snatching glances around the corner. Bright lights swung in her direction when a car pulled into the parking area, the headlights remaining strong and blinding her from seeing the occupants beyond. The crunch of gravel under a heavy boot let her know a guard had left the small hut to investigate the unscheduled arrival. She made a dash for the hut, slipping behind it.

Nicolas laughed at something the guard said and dipped the lights. "It's been too long since I had a date, Hugh," Nicolas replied. "But this little filly's been begging me to take her out and who am I to refuse a pretty face?"

Hugh chuckled. "Aye man, tomorrow's my night off. Mindy's wants to try that Chinese place, so let me know what the foods like."

Nicolas snorted. "I'll not be tasting the food, but I'll let you know what she thinks. Night."

Gravel crunched as Hugh wandered back inside the hut, closed the door and turned the TV up loud enough that Adie could hear it through the thin, wooden walls. She waved at Nicolas to bring the car closer so she could get in. He reversed back, leaving only a split second for her to jump in the back of the convertible before he drove away into the night. Adie crawled over the seat to plonk her butt on the passenger side. He grinned at her. She grinned back. She couldn't help it, the adrenaline rush of her daring escape pumped through her veins. She flung her arms up into the air stream, revelling in the wind as it rushed by.   

They pulled into an empty car park at the base of the mountain. The distinctive roar of the waterfall could be heard in the distance when Nicolas switched the engine off. 

"We have to leave the trail for the brush about three quarters of the way up. Are you sure you want to do this? There's no light and it can get tricky in places," Nicolas asked.