Chapter 30

"Where is he?" Devon asked, glancing at his watch as he paced the length of the lounge.

Krystal hung up the phone. "He's still not answering."

"Damn it! We leave without him. If he has any sense, he will be there already." Devon fumed, putting on his jacket and tugging the shirtsleeves down. "Bloody imbecile knows this meeting is important. I swear if he does not show I will kill him with my bare hands."

"He has a lot to gain from this too, so I'm sure he'll be there," Krystal soothed, afraid that Devon would take one of his temper tantrums like he had with Kevin a few days before.

Devon sighed. "Perhaps. Please tell me my little witch is ready at least?"

"She's waiting in the car with Kevin. Are you sure you don't want her to know what's going to happen tonight?"

Devon stopped mid-stride on his way to the door and slowly turned to look at her. "Are you questioning me, girl?"

"No, Sir, merely curious."

Narrowing his eyes at his subordinate, Devon attempted to assess her. The vampire he'd created in the last five decades or so were becoming tiresome with their constant cross questioning. First William, then Kevin and now Krystal, the latter had been unerringly loyal since the day she woke. He nodded in satisfaction of what he saw on the young vampire's face and smiled ruefully.

"That young woman is far too opinionated for my liking. Once we're done with Alexander, I have plans for her."

Not liking the sound of that, Krystal shuddered with derision, but decided she needed to play it cool for now. "What you got in mind?"

"You will know when the time comes and not before. Let us just say that she may agree to stay on for a while."

"Well, she has blended in rather well with the men and their families."

"How so?" Devon enquired.

Swallowing audibly because she hadn't intended to mention the immense influence the witch had on the pride as a whole. "Oh... um, just general chat in the mess hall," she lied. "They were talking about her helping the boy who was hurt in the play park. They seem to have a lot of respect for her."

"Good," Devon replied, satisfied.

Kevin studied Devon's face as he approached, holding the rear door open for him. Devon nodded his thanks before addressing him, "Nice to have you back."

Krystal watched her sire climb into the limo from the main window, waving at Kevin as he closed the door and walked around to get in the driver's seat.