Chapter 31

"Where are we going?" Adie asked, curiosity getting the better of her when the car turned off the main road onto a dirt track.

"To speak with an associate," Devon replied, absently tapping on his PDA.

"Okay, and who is this associate?"

"Not anyone you know," he snapped, and continued trying to type something. The bumpy trail meant he had to delete more than he kept. 

Adie raised a single eyebrow when she met Kevin's eyes in the rear-view mirror - he shrugged.

"Why are you being so vague?"

He dropped the PDA on to his lap with a tut. "Must we play twenty questions? I have other things on my mind at the moment."

Adie turned away from him and grinned at her reflection in the window; her plans were coming together nicely. It wouldn't be long before Devon got what was coming to him. Alexander was a bit of a concern though, an unknown player. She had no control over anything he would do, and as for this mystery person they were meeting, who were they? Why now of all times? Moreover, what significance did they hold this close to Devon's fight with Alexander?

A shudder of apprehension wiped the smile from her face.

Headlights swept across the front of a dark and decayed derelict building, Kevin stiffened noticeably in the front seat while Devon smiled, looking very pleased with himself.

"Something wrong Kevin?" Devon grinned, showing off his fangs.

"You know damn well what's wrong!" Kevin forced out through gritted teeth. "What the hell are you playing at? Meeting another master in the middle of nowhere? A powerful master. Do you have a death wish or something?"

"I have one last test to perform before meeting Alexander." He turned to Adie, taking her hand. "Let us see what they do when I answer with a show of my own power."

Uneasiness continued to grow as they approached the derelict. Devon closed his eyes. Adie felt him draw on her power, tiny sparks danced across her skin where their hands met. He grinned, it grew wider, more wicked, the closer they got.

"Stop at the door," he directed. "Stay by my side at all times."

A woman dressed in black stepped around the rotten door that had marked the threshold of her home several hundred years ago. With her hands on her leather-clad hips, she frowned as Devon stepped from the car, silhouetted by the headlights of the cars fanned around them.

"Who are you to challenge me?" she asked, shielding her eyes from the light.

"Do you not recognise me Isobel? Has it been so long that you forget your own progeny?"

"Well now, that pompous voice does sound vaguely familiar. Perhaps you should step forward from the light and let me have a better look at you."

Devon waved his free hand, the one not holding Adie's in a death grip, and every light went out. Isobel's laughter rang out in the darkness; hysterical, insulting laughter that had Devon tightening his grip both in anger and fear. Doubts began to flood his mind: had being away from her for so long made him underestimate her power? Without his mountain lion at his side, had he left himself vulnerable?

Physically shaking himself from his pessimistic thoughts, he growled lowly. "Fight or flee Isobel, continue with this pitiful existence or die at my hand. The choice is yours!"

"Oh, Devon, even after all this time you are still an arrogant dick." She laughed, walked down the steps toward them. "I should have finished you the last time you called me instead of just chasing you off. Look around you Devon, tell me who has the upper hand?"

Slowly turning his head, Devon looked to his left and saw his men surrounded by huge wolves. Spinning right, he was met with the same vision. Isobel appeared in front of him in the blink of an eye, grabbing him by the throat. Her gaze was locked on Adie.

"Release her," Isobel instructed. "Or I will make you suffer before I kill you."

Squeaking because Isobel crushed his larynx, he struggled against her hold, dropping Adie's hand to claw at her restraining grip. She threw him across the dusty yard to land on the bonnet of a car. Kevin moved quickly to stand in front of Adie to protect her. Isobel struck him across the face, sending him spinning in the dirt several feet away.

"And what of you, child? Will you challenge me?" she asked Adie.

Standing tall and defiant, Adie called for fire. As she raised her hand, a small orb glowed and flickered. But, before she could do anything with it, Isobel struck without warning. Her hand penetrated Adie's chest, barely missing her heart. Isobel spun on her heel and whistled. Her wolves trotted behind her as she disappeared into the shadows.

Devon's body rolled off the car and into the dirt, Isobel's faint laughter mocking him still. His chocking gasps joined Kevin's screams as Kevin crawled to Adie's side. The shifters formed a circle around her, weeping openly as her chest stopped moving.