-7-

1:58am

The diner is bustling tonight, a few gigs playing in London ended a couple of hours ago and the hungry and drunk music lovers trekking around the city looking for food and a way to sober up, stumble our way. There are even people I go to college with coming in after dancing all evening. I love it when it's this busy, you get to see so much around you, occasionally too many drunks get kicked out but they're also a laugh too. I dressed a little nicer for work tonight, I let my auburn locks down in beach curls, and traded in my trusty Nikes for a cute black pair of ankle boots with silver studs on the sides and tights to keep me warm when I leave. I even put makeup on, not a lot but some red lipstick and a little bit of blush goes a long way.

"Dani a few more people have come in can you see to them, Hank's minding the grill and I need to pop out for a smoke. Carly's due in any minute to help you out." Tony can never go long without a cigarette I rolled my eyes and smiled.
Hank is our night chef, he's a lovely guy from Jamaica, mid fifty's and tanned. It's kinda fun to watch him put a hair net on over his dreadlocks, it takes him a good few minutes. Carly is our daytime waitress, but she sometimes struggles with paying her rent, so Tony lets her work overtime whenever she needs it, which is fine by me, most nights of the week, London is busy with events, and dancing so were almost always busy. Carly and I get a long quite well, so our shifts are fun, we gossip about our lives because we know we won't judge one another, and people watch our crowds of customers. She has lovely short brunette hair and wears so many wristbands that you can't really see her left arm, she's from a small army town in the south coast so she likes the pixie cuts.

"Got it boss we can hold down the fort anyway." Just as he walked out Carly walked in rushing to put her stuff down and help me clear up the empty tables.
"Hey Girlie, how you doing? Busy tonight then? Evening Hank!" coming to my side and giving me a quick side hug, she surveyed the damage the drunkards had left on their way out. "Hey Carl, yeah I'll take the left side, you take the right? How are things at home now?" I asked.
"Same as you can expect; I asked Tony if I could work tonight, I finally kicked Mack out the absolute loser does nothing but sit around and drink. I told my mother and she was banging on about how I'll die old and alone if I am anymore picky and don't settle down with a husband and kids. So, I'm glad to be here as you can expect." Carly laughed. Mark was this loser she had dated since school, she's now in her thirties and finally had enough of Mark holding her back and amounting to nothing other than filling himself with alcohol. I've been telling her for months she deserved better. I smiled and hugged her tight. Not something I do often I know but I have exceptions.

'Dani is so sweet, she makes these shifts so fun.'

Cringing, I really don't like listening in on other people's thoughts, it feels intrusive and wrong, but when they're projected straight at me, I really don't get a choice.
"Your mum will be eating her words when you take home a Channing Tatum look alike you know." We laughed and smiled at each other in reassurance.
"Oh, don't you worry love, I'm counting on it." Getting to work I took orders from a couple of nurses on a late shift break and a homeless man that comes in from time to time. I give him free coffee without Tony knowing... especially when the weather sucks, what he doesn't know won't hurt him. Carly got to work on her side and soon most of our customers were taken care of for the time being.

*

The bell above the door chimed making us aware more customers entered the diner, but they sat on Carly's side, so I shot her a cheeky wink. Luckily for me my section slowed down, so I could have a break and run to the loo. Brushing my hair, a little, the curls turned into nothing but an unruly mess of auburn waves, having a pee and splashing water on my face to keep me awake and alert for the remainder of the shift. I stole a look at the marks Sam left on me begrudgingly when readjusting my shirt. my god, no.
There is no way... it isn't possible. Running to splash more water on my face, maybe I am just too tired and I'm imagining things. I looked at my chest in the mirror again and I'm not sure whether to feel relieved or bewildered- maybe both, but my scabs, and bruising from what Sam had done to me are gone! No scars, no trace that they were even there to begin with. Running my hand over my chest I felt a little bump right in the middle, I couldn't see it without standing right up to the mirror. The smallest blood spot stands in place where the scabs had once sat. Almost like I'd been nicked, suddenly I felt like I couldn't breathe, what the hell is going on with me.