Noah Benson

Noah was, once again, working late for college. He was 19 but the most promising law student in NY. It was 10 pm and in the next day he had a major fake trial who he couldn't afford to miss. 5 hours had gone by and he was sitting in a conference room with an associate and his fake secretary, Anna, a fellow law student who he had known since he was 5, going through every deposition and piece of evidence when the phone rang. Anna realized Noah wasn't going to pick it up, she didn't even know if he had listened to it, due to the concentration he was putting on that statement, so she picked it up herself. And she gave him the news, news she never wanted to give: "Noah, it was the hospital, your mom was rushed there, I think her blood pressure dropped." He immediately panicked and started to dress his coat when Anna interrupted: "Hey, don't stress out, they say she is ok and a sleep, you can't even go see her. Go home, change, and then go there. If you need anything give me a call, anytime" and so he did. One last look at her before leaving the floor and getting into the elevator and he was as ready as one can be. By the time he got home is hand were shacking so much that it was almost impossible to put the key in the door lock. He stumbled to his room, changed his suit to some jeans and hoodie and was getting ready to head out the door when he saw an envelope with nothing but his name written. Before he could notice that the handwriting on it was the one in every school grades book signature or in every post-it hanging on the fridge door while growing up, he threw the letter to his pocket and didn't think about it anymore.

After getting to the hospital, walking by those cold white walls, smelling disinfectant everywhere and looking at all those people in silence was making Noah feel sick. He would always get sad inside an hospital because he realized that every single one of those people, looking at the ceiling in silence or crying quietly, had their story, their nightmare, and they were probably desperate. The floor he hated the most to have to walk by was the second. That floor was specialized in oncology and he had to go through there to get to internment, due to the location of the elevators being in the opposite end of the hospital. While walking there he would always feel uncomfortable, most of those people had just received the worst news of their lives or were about to. Most of those people were going to die and knew it and Noah, he hated that feeling. And knowing is mother was there, near all that sadness and death, was making him feel even worse. But not being allowed to walk in his mother's room was the end of it. He couldn't go anywhere, if he left, he could miss the opportunity to see her, if he stayed, his thoughts and anxiety would drive him nuts. He had called Anna but she hadn't answered and he was feeling alone. While playing with his hands to hide how nervous he was he remembered the letter. So, he pulled it out, stared at it for a little while and opened it slowly. He could tell the letter was recent. And that it had to be from his mom, paper was pretty much extinct and no one used it anymore except her. So he opened the first letter (there had to be at least 40 pages there) and started to read.

.

.

Small chapter, I'm sorry but it is 2am and I really wanted to post! Enjoy <3