Step Into the Sun

Evan woke up. "Evan." Heidi, his mother, stood in the doorway. "Hi mom." He sat up. "Don't you have a shift soon?" She asked. Evan glanced at the clock: 9:35 AM. "Oh. I do." Evan jumps up. Heidi smiles, "It'll be a good day." She pulls him in for a hug. "I know." He smiles. "I'll leave you to it." She lets go and lets him get ready. He puts on his uniform and gets into the car.

He arrives at Pottery Barn. As he's walking up to the building, he sees a familiar face. Jared sat inside his car. Evan gave him a little smile. Jared just glanced up and saw him. Evan waved and Jared waved back. Evan continued on and went inside. 

A few hours in, Evan walked around a corner to find Zoe standing there, looking at lamps. "Zoe?" Evan smiled. "Hi Evan." Zoe turned. "What are you doing here?" He asks. "Just looking at lamps." She laughs. "What's it been? A month?" He had last seen her at the orchard a month ago. He had never been in the orchard until he had called her and she asked for him to meet her there. "Yeah." She responds. 

They stand in silence. "So, um... what are you looking for?" Evan tries to break it. "Oh, I was just looking. I'm not really trying to find something specific." She says.  "Oh." He says. They stand in more silence. "Sorry... I just... I didn't expect to see you here." He apologizes. Zoe laughs, "I see you're still apologizing." She jokes. "Sor-" He stops himself. She laughs again. She glances at her watch. "Oh. Well I should be going... see you around." She walks away. "And if they ask if you helped, I'll tell them you were very helpful." She adds. "Thanks." He laughs.

After work, Evan exited the store. He calls his mom. "Hey honey." Heidi answers. "Hey, when will you be home? I'm getting in the car right now." Evan gets into the drive seat. "I'll be home in about 2 or 3 hours." Heidi tells him. "Okay, I'm probably just going home." He says. "Why don't you go and hang out with someone?" She asks. "Well I figured I'd-" There was a knock on the window. He looked over to see Jared hovered over the car. "I'll call you back." Evan hangs up.  He rolls down the window. "Hi- hi." Evan was shocked. He figured Jared still hated him. "Hey, how have you been?" Jared asked. "Good. You?" He was scared of where this was going. "Good. I haven't seen you since graduation." Jared didn't look angry. "Yeah." Evan was confused about why Jared suddenly didn't hate him. "So you and Zoe are still together?" He questions. "What? No. We haven't been together since I confessed." Evan says. "Oh, you told them?" How did he not know they weren't dating anymore? "Yeah. I confessed a year ago." Evan looks down. "Wow." Jared stood there. "Look, I'm sorry about what I said." Evan stared at his legs, not wanting to look up. "It's cool. It's over." He shakes it off. "Cool." Evan looks up. "Well it was good seeing you." Jared stepped back. "Yeah. See you around." Evan smiles. Jared walks back towards his car.  Evan puts his car in gear and drives home. 

When he gets home, he closes his bedroom door. He got an update on his phone. It was from Twitter about a post by Zoe Murphy that said: just saw @evanhansen today, hope you're doing good. He smiled. He didn't care if he'd ruined his chance at having a romantic relationship with her, she had forgiven him for an unforgivable thing without him even asking for her to. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, this is a fanfiction inspired by the musical Dear Evan Hansen. There will be mentions of suicide as Zoe's brother, Connor, did commit suicide and that's a part of what the play's about, so don't think I'm just talking about suicide just to put in drama. 

Hope you enjoy and if you want this to make a little more sense, I suggest you listen to it. It's on everything including YouTube. It only takes an hour of your time so I suggest you do that. Also if you still don't understand, the synopsis is on Wikipedia, because I know no one else is gonna go to New York and pay a thousand bucks to understand it. Enjoy!