I've Never Had That Perfect Girl

Evan couldn't believe she said yes. "R-really?" Evan asks, smilng widely. "Totally." Zoe repeats. Evan lifts her up and spins her around. When he set her down, she kisses him. "Th-this i-is great!" He kisses her back. "So now what?" Zoe asks. "Uh, I-i didn't think that far ahead." Cynthia comes back from the kitchen. "So would you two like a snack?" She asks. Even looks at Zoe, then back at Cynthia. "Sure."

Cynthia brings them to the kitchen. She sets out some apples on the island. "I knew you two would work it out." Cynthia smiles. Zoe softly rolls her eyes. "So Zoe, did you tell him about college?" Cynthia asks her daughter. "Mom, we just started dating a minute ago." Zoe says. "Well, tell him now." Cynthia pushes. "So you said you're starting at University of Maine, well I'm starting Southern University of Maine." Zoe smiles. "Wait really?" Evan was confused. "Isn't that only two hours apart?" Evan asks. "Yep. We can visit on the weekends." Zoe puts her hand out Evan takes it. "That's incredible."

After that, Zoe walked Evan home. "I'm sad we're both going off to college." Evan sighs. "But we'll see each other all the time. On weekends, holidays, summer vacation, it'll be great." Zoe argues. "I guess. I just hate that I'll be away from you. It's bad enough we spent a year without talking." Evan explains. "Again, I just want to say how sorry I am about lying that Connor and I were friends." Evan nervously says. "I already forgave you. You were in a bad place." Zoe says. "T-thanks." Evan gets out.

Evan sat alone in his room, the computer screen lighting up the dark room. "Congrats Evan." Connor said, making Evan almost drop his laptop on the floor. "Why do you have to do that?" Evan closes his laptop. "Because that's how the mind works. Thoughts just appear." Connor smiles. "Okay, what exactly are you congratulating me on?" Evan chose not to go deeper into the whole "how the mind works" thought. "On being with my sister!" Connor says almost too enthusiastic. "Too bad college with make you break up again." He adds. "But our schools are only two hours away." Evan argues. "Yeah, but no doubt Zoe will find another guy in about a year." Connor crosses his arms. "That's not true. She likes me for me." Evan refused to let him win. "You said that about a year ago, and she broke up with you." He continues. "Shut up!" Evan yells. "Evan!" Heidi bursts in. "Are you okay?" Evan looks to see that Connor was gone. "Y-yeah." He says. "You sure, you were-" Heidi goes to put a hand on his shoulder but Evan pulls away. "I'm fine!" He says.

Out of fear, Evan didn't talk to Zoe for the rest of the summer, besides the occasional reply to her text. Zoe drove to his house the day she had to leave for college. He was leaving the next day. "H-hey Zoe." Evan nervously smiles as Zoe stood at the front door. "Hey. We haven't seen each other in two weeks, I wanted to see if you were okay." Zoe smiles, walking into his house. "Yeah, I-i was um... busy." Evan lies. "Evan, what's wrong. I know you weren't busy. You stay at home by choice." She puts her hands on her hips. "Fine, I was avoiding you." He looks down in complete shame. "Why?" She looked at his face which required squating. "Because I was afraid this wouldn't last." He was fighting hard not to cry. "Evan, 1,000 miles couldn't keep me from being with you. We'll be in the same state and pretty close to each other." She takes his hand. "You're right." He smiles. Zoe kisses him.

They spend half an hour together before she had to go. "Bye." She says, hugging him tightly. "Call me when you get to your dorm?" Evan asks. "Totally. I'll give you the full tour over FaceTime when I get there." She smiles before giving him a meaningful kiss. "Bye." She waves before going to her car. Evan watches her car slowly leave the driveway. His perfect girl, the girl who could somehow see the best part of him, was leaving. Sure, he'd seeing her beautiful face in a few hours, it was still sad. But now Evan had to finish packing.