chapter one

"Edmund!" Lucy calls to her brother

"Edmund!" Lucy calls to her brother. He turns to look at us, "You're supposed to be helping us with the groceries."

The men around him laugh. The man sitting behind the table gives a look and hands him the ID back.

"Better luck next time, aye squirt?" The man behind his says and ruffles his hat around. Edmund walks over to us and we walk outside.

"Squirt? He barley had two years on me!" Edmund takes the box of groceries from me and begins to latch them onto the bike, "I am a king. I've fought wars and led armies."

"Not in this world," I remind him. He turns to me and sighs.

"Yeah, instead I'm stuck here, doing battle with Eustace Clarence Scrubb. If anyone so deserves a name." I watch Lucy as she tucks a piece of her hair behind her ear. I glance behind me to find a girl laughing with what appears to be her boyfriend.

"What are you doing?" Edmund asks his sister. She snaps out of her trance and grabs a hold on the bicycle.

"Nothing!" She says, "come on then!"

Following her down the sidewalk we make our way to their temporary home. You see, war had broken out in London again and their parents, Peter, and Susan traveled to America eight months ago, leaving them with their Aunt and Uncle. Their cousin, Eustace, is a nasty little boy. I think he made it his life goal to torture Edmund while they're staying at his home.

Lucy grabs the mail from the mailbox and we make our way up the small path leading to the house.

Edmund holds the door open for Lucy and I. We make our way into the house and take our coats off.

"I'm home!" Lucy calls out," Hello."

I follow Lucy through the living room and into the kitchen.

"Hello Uncle Harold. I tried to get some carrots but all they had were turnips again." She tells him, "shall I start making soup? Aunt Alberta's on her way home."

The man simply coughs and flips to the next page in his newspaper. The way they treat them makes my blood boil. How can you be so rude to your family? My mum asked Mrs. Pevensie if they could stay with us but she refused the offer, saying she didn't want mum to be under the pressure of watching her children.

"Uncle Harold?" Lucy asks, annoyed at him. No reply. Edmund rolls his eyes and sticks his tongue out at his uncle.

"Father, Edmund's making faces at you!" Came that annoying voice. Eustace. I hear a whoosh sound and Edmunds hand flies to the back of his head. Eustace had hit him with a spitball.

"Why you little!" Edmunds shouts. He climbs up the stairs and Eustace cowards down.

"Father, he's going to hit me!" Eustace cries out. Lucy looks through the mail and a smile breaks out on her face.