The Truth of Division Five

Ragnor

"But I must say," I started as we walked to Division Five Barracks, "I didn't expect you to actually use the Praetors' specialties to beat them."

"Do not underestimate my ability to 'whoop Praetors' asses', as you've mentioned earlier." she countered childishly. To think the daughter of the Royal Family would use such 'colorful language'. I thought dryly to myself. Suddenly, we stopped in unison.

"Looks like you can feel it too." I managed. A dark, heavy aura shrouded our entire surroundings. I looked around with my guard up, I reached for my sword which I didn't have on me. Just great, the time I need it, I don't have it. I thought, cursing myself. I subconsciously looked at Dindraine and saw her eyes sink. At that moment, they no longer had the mischievous glint. She reached out with her right and a large sword appeared. I thought it was way too oversized for Dindraine's size, and it had no hilt. But the oddest part of this sword was its shape, it was slightly curved at the bottom, maybe a Kopis, but a lot larger. She glared at the dark mist-like substance. She turned her head slowly, and carefully, accurately analyzing. I could feel the pressure from Dindraine much clearer than from the mist. She suddenly took a stance that must have been original. She clenched her sword with both hands and turned, so the sword was behind her.

"Ragnor," she called out to me emotionlessly, "duck." She didn't even wait for my reaction, she swung her sword with unbelievable speed and power. Her swing separated the mist, but it was persistent.

"Exafaníste." she muttered to so quietly, I wasn't sure she even said anything. The only implication she said anything was the tiny movements her lips made. An Enchantment, quite a high level one too. Seems as though Dindraine will be surprising me every time she does something. As soon as she stopped muttering the Enchantment, the mist dissipated, as though nothing were there from the start.

"You pass!" a low voice boomed. Oh no. I thought, dreading what came next. "Nice moves you got there, li'l kid." Of course, it was Ophion Nantres. I sighed right into my hand, and Dindraine gave me a puzzled expression.

"Name?" Nantres appeared behind us, seemingly out of nowhere. I replied calmly, "Dindraine."

"What about her last name?" another voice asked, this one was a lot more high pitched and was young but of a boy's. Probably Orion Ector.

"Blumenthal." Dindraine said. It wasn't a complete lie but wasn't a complete truth. Nice, I thought emotionlessly, and half-heartedly. But it was much smarter not to say her real last name. The only reason why this was a smarter idea was because 'Blumenthal' is a common last name. Nantres broke into a laugh, revealing yellow, crooked teeth.

"You're quite the interesting one, kid." Nantres said, but Dindraine snapped in response. "I'm not a kid. I may not look it, but I'm definitely older than you."

"Alright, then." he shrugged and continued on, "But I'm not comfortable with calling a little girl by their given name so I'll be calling you Blumenthal then."

Dindraine grunted in disapproval, probably hating how Nantres was treating her.

"I'm sorry for him, he's a little stupid." Ector appeared from behind the tall, burly man. As usual, they stuck together. It was weird, it seemed as though Ector hated Nantres, and yet they went on missions together. I guess half of the reason was that they are childhood friends.

"Don't worry." Dindraine replied, smugly looking at the fuming Nantres, "I've got more than enough experience when it comes to dealing with idiots."

"Orion Ector." He held his hand out, which Dindraine willingly took. "Welcome to Division Five."

"Thanks."