Identity

Ragnor

Tricks? I thought as I heard Ibliss huff out. I cocked my head to my right, trying to make sense out of what was happening. Of course, being the strange people these siblings are, I got nothing.

"I used to do little tricks," Dindraine answered my unsaid question, "you know, for fun."

I grunted, now understanding. Of course she'd know tricks, she's as resourceful as any ten million people. "Where'd you learn them?" I asked instead of saying my thoughts.

"I thought of them." she answered smoothly, definitely true. What's there she can't think of. I complained internally. As spontaneous as Dindraine could ever be, she changed the subject, "Well, let's try to crack the code, now shall we."

I lead the siblings to Division Four's huge library, it was a skyscraper, really. They looked up to the library with glittering eyes. Not that I didn't understand why their eyes were completely overwhelmed by the possible knowledge and wisdom that are hidden in the leather bindings.

"Anyway," I cleared my throat to snap them out of their trance, which, surprisingly, worked, "do you want to go through books you want to read first, then start cracking the code or-" I knew the answer before I finished my question by the looks of their faces. "Alright, let's go in then."

The door creaked as I pushed it slowly, wouldn't want to completely destroy it when we already have other repairs to make. The four trailed me as I weaved through the maze of tall, oak shelves. Finally, we came upon a shelf, it was much, much older than the rest, ancient. I zipped through the million titles and came across one particular title. It had gold lining, bordering the spine of the book with gold ink. An obvious sign it was a rich person's, or the person who wrote it was rich. But what really caught my eye was the letters, and it seemed Dindraine also noticed it. The title was most likely in the language the parchment was written in, the characters were similar, the way they flowed gracefully. The color of the ink brought the letters to life as they stood from the leather binding and keeping it together.

"Dindraine..." I muttered. She flicked me a glance, asking me with her mismatched eyes. "Do you think that's in the same language?"

She chuckled completely silently and snickered, "Looks like we're thinking of the same thing, eh, Ragnor?"

The three boys looked between the two of us, trying to figure out what was happening. I dragged a silver ladder over to where we stood and climbed till I was right where I needed to be; an arm away from the hundreds of pages we needed. I reached for the book, but it was just a little out of reach, a mere centimeter, so I leaned, but I did so a little too much. The ladder toppled over along with me, but to my luck, I reacted fast enough to kick off the ladder and at least saved myself from getting squashed to death. Then again, there was the wooden floor to consider. But being the idiot I am, I put myself between the book and floor, just so that it wouldn't be damaged. The moment the ladder crashed right in front of the others standing on the floor, Dindraine blinked in surprise. She rushed over to me and flipped me right over. Forcefully, she snatched the book from me and held it out behind her.

"Pell, hold it." she ordered, and Pellanor did as he was told and clenched the spine of the book. Her eyes flew over my entire body, analyzing me. "No serious broken bones. Dislocated shoulder. Hairline fracture in the left upper arm. Bruised back." she listed quietly, her voice was emotionless and completely monotone. Slowly, her hand lifted from the ground to come above me. A soft, faint glow was emitted from her hand. As I felt my bones mend and my shoulder fit back into place, I uttered, "Thanks."

"No problem." she replied. It subtle, but I heard her voice waver and her breath short, probably from the exhaustion of healing me. "Anyway, let's take a look at the book."