prologue

"...doctors just aren't sure what to do about this," the redfaced anchorman on the news reported, his features tense, as Aubrey channel surfed.

"The sickness is reportedly manifesting in record time. Doctors are saying -"

"I'll get it!" Aubrey called to no one in particular as the doorbell rang.

The midnight - black cat on the couch let out a small mew, and cocked his head to the side, staring at her with lime green eyes. She scratched her finger under his furry chin, feeling the vibrations of his pur as a thank you. Switching the TV on mute, Aubrey stood up from the couch.

"Don't worry, Salem, I'm pretty sure this thing doesn't affect felines," she quipped, referring to what the news anchor was informing the public of. She scratched the cat under his inky black chin before turning the lock and pulling open the door to her apartment, revealing a young Asian guy standing in the empty hallway.

Glenn's eyes widened involuntarily when the door swung open, revealing a pretty, young girl with dark brown and blonde hair effortlessly piled up on her head.

"H-Hi, uh, here's your pizza," he stuttered, staring at her for another moment before awkwardly thrusting the box into her hands.

"How much do I owe you?" she asked, turning her back on him and setting the pizza down on the coffee table.

Glenn's eyes drifted below her waist for a milisecond as she leant down to grab her wallet, before they snapped back up.

"You know what, you're my last delivery for the night, so it's on me," he said.

The girl's deep eyes flicked up from the wallet in her hand and met his warm brown ones as his face contorted around his bashful smile.

"Oh, wow, thank you, that's so kind of you," Aubrey rambled, feeling her cheeks heat up when the door was closed firmly behind her.

Glenn let out a whoosh of air as the door closed and he turned to leave. He didn't know why he had become so flustered in the stranger's presence. He rubbed his palms against his jeans, making his way through the dim hallway, and replayed the brief encounter over in his mind, coming to the conclusion that he must've looked like a complete fool, staring all wide-eyed like that.

Either that, or she thought he was a creep. He really hoped it wasn't the latter. The evening air cooled his burning face as the doorman let him out. Sitting in the safety of his delivery car, Glenn wondered if he'd ever see the pretty girl with the darkest eyes again, before that thought was immediately replaced with the hope that he wouldn't.

-------

this is a shitty prologue, but i promise the actual chapters aren't this short.

hi! im back after a year long hiatus after publishing constant peril, which im happy to say had 20k reads last time i checked.

i hope you guys like this new fanfiction:)

❧ shelby.