nebraska

Carol couldn't - or maybe wouldn't - look at Aubrey after the silence fell on them again.

"I'm-I'm sorry," she tried to say, stopping herself when Carol pushed Daryl away from her and ran off, her hand pressed over her mouth.

Beth's sobs filled the space of Carol's as she broke away from Jimmy and approached the bodies. She crouched down in front of one, pushing another body off of it, and rolled the dead woman over.

"Mom -" she cried, her squeaks turning to screams when her mother rasped to life and grabbed at her.

Shane grabbed the girl around her midriff and tugged her away from the body, while the rest of the group pulled at the walker's arms, its hands still grabbing at Beth's pigtails.

Beth's mother had Glenn now, using his arms to pull herself up. Aubrey gripped Glenn's shoulders as Andrea took the scythe that was leaning against the barn and swung it into the dead woman's head. The moans ceased instantly, and Aubrey fell back onto her ass, pulling Glenn back with her.

"Are you okay?" she whispered to him, her heart racing. Glenn nodded, squeezing one of her hands before he stood and helped her up.

"We been out - we been combing these woods looking for her and she was in there all along! You knew," Shane said accusingly, as the Greenes slowly headed back up to the farmhouse, their shoulders slumped.

"Leave us alone," Maggie snapped.

"Shane, just stop, man," Rick said, grabbing his arm. Shane ripped it from his grasp.

"Get the hell off me. You knew and you kept it from us," Shane continued.

"I didn't know," Hershel said, his voice higher than usual.

"That's bullshit! I think you all knew!"

Maggie spun on him. "We didn't know!"

"Why was she there?" Shane demanded.

"Otis put those people in the barn. Maybe he found her and put her in there before he was killed," Hershel sighed.

"You expect me to believe that? What do I look like to you, huh?" Shane challenged the old man.

"Dad, stop," Aubrey begged, jogging over and grabbing his arm.

"I don't care what you believe," Hershel said, his voice raising.

"Everybody, everybody, just calm down," Rick said, stepping between Shane and the old man.

"Get him off my land!" Hershel shouted.

"Let me tell you somethin'," Shane started, walking up to Hershel and getting a sharp slap to the face from Maggie.

"Don't touch him!" she seethed. "Haven't you done enough?"

"I mean it. Off my land," Hershel said again, before he walked into the house with his family.

"What are you doing? Hey, what are you doing?" Aubrey asked, standing in front of her father.

"Daryl almost died lookin' for her, Aubrey. Any one of us could have. Imma tell you right now, that son of bitch... he knew."

"He didn't," Rick defended.

"Please, just let me handle this," Aubrey said exasperatedly.

Rick nodded begrudgingly and walked away, no doubt off to find Lori and Carl.

"He opened his home to us, Dad," Aubrey said once Rick was gone.

"He put us all in danger, baby. He kept a barn full of walkers."