guts

"Carl!" Aubrey cried, running to meet him halfway and kneeling down in time for his small body to crash into her chest. Carl's arms wrapped around her neck and his chin dug into her shoulder.

"Jesus, kid, I was worried I'd never see you again," Aubrey admitted, raising her eyes to the two people that stood a little ways away, watching them with expressions of shock on their faces.

Lori's hand shook as she raised it to her mouth, before she and Rick ran towards her. Aubrey's heart rose as her second family's arms wrapped around her from every direction.

"We all thought you were dead," Lori whispered, squeezing Aubrey tightly.

"I almost was," she laughed, brushing her hair back.

"What?" Carl asked, narrowing his bright eyes in a confused manner.

"I-"

"Aubrey?"

"Daddy!" Aubrey shrieked, breaking away from Rick and Carl and running the short distance between them before jumping into Shane's arms and throwing hers around his neck.

"I was worried about you, kiddo," he whispered into her ear, chuckling over his emotions and holding his daughter tightly.

Shane's arm tensed around her shoulders as Ed threw another log on the fire, sending the flames on a short climb into the blackness.

"Hey, Ed, you wanna rethink that log, huh?" he asked pointedly.

"It's cold, man," Ed grunted dismissively, turning to sit back down.

"The cold doesn't change rules. Keep fires low, just embers, so we can't be seen from a distance," Aubrey piped up.

"I said it's cold. You should mind your business before things get ugly," Ed growled, turning back to her. Aubrey cocked a challenging eyebrow at the glare in his eyes.

"Watch it," Shane warned in a low voice. Ed made another dismissive grunt and sat between Carol and Sophia, as Shane got up to remove the log.

"Hey, Bre, you said you almost died earlier, what happened?" Carl asked her. She looked over at him, nestled between his mom and dad, and saw their eyes on her, too.

"Oh, well, I was staying at this shelter for a while before it got overrun by walkers. Barely anyone made it out alive, and then half an hour later, I'm sitting in this alleyway, catching my breath and more of them find me. They're coming at me from both ends, and I just closed my eyes and thought, 'Wow, I escaped death only to die half an hour later.'" Aubrey paused, looking across the fire and locking eyes with Glenn. "And then this voice calls out, 'Hey, dumbass! Up here!' and there's Glenn, standing on the utility platform. Glenn saved me."

She didn't dare bring up her almost suicide in front of her father and the Grimes'.

"It was nothing," Glenn said shyly, his furious blushing hidden by the dancing light of the fire.

"Thank you," Shane said soberly, sending an appreciative smile in Glenn's direction. Glenn bowed his head as Morales gave him a rough pat on the back.

"Looks like someone got daddy's approval," Morales joked.

"Nah, I only thanked him," Shane teased, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he laughed.

"You know, when you mentioned your dad was a cop on the roof, I wondered if it was Shane. Or, maybe even Rick," Glenn said.

"That's what that look on your face was about!" Aubrey exclaimed, grinning.

Aubrey looked up at Shane while he smiled. She couldn't believe that mere hours ago she had been worried her dad was dead, or that the Grimes' were dead as well. She had one hell of an unlucky streak when it came to life, but for once - for once - the cards were in her favor. At least, until Dale asked the dreaded question.

"Have you given any thought to Daryl Dixon? I mean, he won't be too happy to hear his brother's been left behind."

"I'll tell him. I dropped the key. It's on me," T-Dog said sullenly, staring into the fire with his hands hung.

"No. I cuffed him, it's on me," Aubrey spoke up. Shane shifted and she could tell he was looking down at her.

"You cuffed him?" he asked incredulously.

"Yeah, you're down a pair of cuffs," she said awkwardly. Shane chuckled.

"Guys, it's not a competition," Glenn said, steering the conversation back to the issue at hand. "I don't mean to bring race into this, but it might go over better if he hears it from a white guy - uh, girl."

"I did what I did. Hell if I'm gonna hide from him."

"We could lie," Amy suggested.

"Or tell the truth," Andrea countered. "Merle was out of control. Something had to be done or he would've gotten us killed," she continued, turning to adress Shane. "Your daughter did what was necessary, and if Merle got left behind, it's nobody's fault but Merle's."

"And that's what we tell Daryl? I don't see a rational discussion to be had from that, do you? Word to the wise - we're gonna have our hands full when he gets back from his hunt," Dale finished.

"I stopped long enough to chain that door. Staircase is narrow. Maybe half a dozen geeks can squeeze against it at one time, but not enough to break through. Not that chain, not that padlock. My point is, Dixon's alive and he's still up there, handcuffed on that roof. That's on us," T-Dog said, getting up and walking away from the fire.

-----

When the fire became too low to revive, everyone headed off to their own tents - aside from Dale, who went to take the first watch on top of the RV.

"Here you take the cot -"

"I'm fine sleeping on the ground," Aubrey reasoned, standing with her arms crossed. She didn't want him to shift his situation on her account.

"I'm next up for the watch anyway, if you're sleepin' on the ground I might wake you up or step on you. It's fine, Aubs, I don't mind sleepin' on the ground."

"Fine." Aubrey caved easily, dropping her arms and crawling into bed.

Shane fell asleep quickly, but Aubrey lay awake. Her thoughts unfortunately drifted to Merle handcuffed to that roof. T-Dog said he managed to chain the door closed but still. He had no water and no shelter from the blazing sun, and it was all her fault.

Nobody's gonna miss him. Except his brother. According to Dale, Daryl Dixon had gone hunting early that day and was presumed to return tomorrow. Oh, how she dreaded meeting him. If he was anything like Merle, he'd be pissed at her. T-Dog too, for dropping the key, but probably more so at her for being the one to lock him there.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, she rolled onto her side and fell into an uneasy sleep, easily waking up when Shane got up for watch duty, but falling back asleep as soon as he left.

------

ksksks im editing this in an airport,,
surprise, shane has a daughter

❧ shelby