infected

Glenn sat against the burnt out wall of the guard tower, watching Aubrey sleep. He thought she looked peaceful when she slept; she'd finally been able to sleep more than a few hours a night. When she slept, she looked the way she did when he first met her; like she hadn't watched her father die at the hands of his best friend, or killed her mother figure.

Her calm, still face seemed to say the weight of the world wasn't pressing on her shoulders, but only for a little while. Thick, soot colored lashes brushed her cheeks, while his eyes skimmed over her high cheekbones. Full, pink lips formed her natural pout as she slept, instead of the usual smirk that curled them when she was awake.

He smiled at her, the woman he loved with every fiber in his being, and carefully pulled the Polaroid camera he picked up during the doomed Big Spot run from his canvas bag. Running his tongue over his bottom lip, he quietly got up and sat himself on the makeshift beside her. Holding the camera to his eye, he pressed the button, the click making her flinch. She rolled over with a sigh, her eyes slowly opening. Aubrey cocked a dangerous eyebrow at him as the flash whined and the camera whirred.

Glenn laughed guiltily. "Sorry."

Aubrey shook her head, a tired smile tugging at her lips as she put her head back down against the pillow.

"Are you on guard?" she asked groggily.

"Yeah," Glenn sighed, watching the photo develop for a moment.

"I'll bring you breakfast after perimeter check," he whispered, leaning forward and kissing her forehead, as she took the fully developed photo from his lap and studied it.

"Oh, my god. Throw that away."

"Yeah...," Glenn trailed off, his tongue poking from his mouth as he took it back and held it up to his eyes. "Not gonna happen," he said quickly, getting to his feet before she could make a swipe for it. "It's mine."

Aubrey smiled despite herself and sat up, shifting back so he could open the trapdoor she had been laying on. Glenn lowered himself to sit against the edge, holding the trapdoor open for himself. She leaned down and gently pressed her lips to his knuckles. When he disappeared through the hatch, she stood up and surveyed the yard as she sheathed her knife to her belt, her eyes falling on the bigger of the two horses. She was gonna go on a run.

"Be careful out there," Rick called, as he and Carl made their way towards Aubrey and Tango.

He knew she wouldn't respond, but he said it anyway. She surprised them both by replying stiffly, "Always am. Any requests? Books? Comics?"

"Comics," Carl nodded, watching her double check Tango's tack.

"Why don't you wear your hat anymore?" Aubrey asked.

"It's not a farming hat," Carl replied.
"See you soon?" he asked.

She had just started to form the word yeah, when gunshots echoed from the prison.

"Carl, take Tango!" Aubrey ordered, dropping the reins as she and Rick booked it for the building.

"Help! Help! Please, come quick!" Lizzie screamed, she and Mika running towards them.

"Walkers in D!" Glenn shouted to the approaching duo.

"What about C?" Rick demanded.

"Clear," Sasha announced, joining them in the courtyard from C block.

"We locked the gates to the tombs. Hershel's on guard."

"It ain't a breach," Daryl said, panic noting his gruff voice.