___Chapter 9___

"It's an uphill human race,
And I am falling down."

"Food is the best counselling a man can receive," Walter announced in a hushed tone as we walked towards the cafeteria.

"Alright," I muttered.

"People don't respect it the way they should," Walter continued, not noticing my lack of interest. "They eat for living, whereas they should live to eat."

"Of course," I answered.

"Food has been scientifically proven to release endorphins in the brain," Walter said. "Basically, stuff that makes you happy."

"Great," I replied.

"So, what to they serve here?" Walter asked. "Loco moco? Shawarmas? Sushi?"

What? He didn't know?

"Walter, it doesn't-"

"Quiet, the both of you! Wasn't the boss's warning enough for you two to stop?" A guard whispered angrily to us. "You think you're hiding it all by whispering, then you're wrong."

Why the fuck does he care?

"Karl, leave Marx alone. He got in trouble because of your big mouth," another guard whose number was one twenty-six, said.

The both of us froze, looking at each other. One of us was Karl and one Marx. Well, one of us is supposed to be Karl and the other Marx.

But Walter was quick to act.

"Alright, whatever you say," he waved it off.

"You're acting so out of character today, Karl," the first guard said.

Okay, so Walter was Karl. And I was Marx.

"Hah, yes," Walter, I mean Karl, forced a laugh.

"And Marx, what's up with you? I haven't heard a single boss joke from you all day," the same guard said, giving me a pat on the shoulder. "Come on, lay some down on me."

Boss jokes? Karl actually seems interesting.

Sorry for killing you, bud.

"Me?" I squeaked, but in a gruff voice because I'm a man now. "Now?"

"I don't mind if you ain't got any new ones," he assured me. "The old ones are just as good."

"The old ones," I repeated, looking at Walter, trying to pass him my best 'I don't know what the hell do to" look, but I believe that I was quite unsuccessful in doing so because of the mask.

Stupid mask.

But he didn't seem to have a reaction. Maybe he did and just wasn't able to do so because of the mask.

I repeat, stupid mask.

"Come on now, lay it on me," he said. "Go ahead."

"Well-" I began, but was interrupted by Walter, sorry, Karl.

"Come on guys, we've reached," Walter announced, waving his hand towards the cafeteria board.