Chapter 5 | Day 5 - Snow Fight

"You know what?" Aunt Ruby started the next morning.

"What?" I asked looking up from book I was reading. I was actually starting to feel comfortable and calmed down, more relaxed than how I was when I got here. Don't get me wrong, I still am not completely happy that I have to be here. I still wanna go back home?

There is nothing I want more than to be back home, where it is warm and I am around people I know. Except, having Bennett - and my aunt of course - here, in the cold, doesn't make it that bad. The best thing would be me being back at home, and that Bennett is there too.

But that will never happen. We just met. How am I going to expect him to move across the country?

"Earth to Kendall," Aunt Ruby said snapping her fingers in my face.

"Im sorry, what's up?" I asked shaking my head free from my thoughts.

"You never told me how yesterday went," she said excitedly reaching out to grab my hands, "so how was it? Was it everything you hoped for and more?"

"Aunt Ruby," I said pulling back hands flabbergasted. I don't want to think what I am sure she in insinuating.

"What?" She questioned, playing innocent.

"I literally just went to the mall with him. Besides it wasn't just the two of us, he invited his friends along. Trust me, I was absolutely okay with it," I said answer what would of been her next question. "Well, for the most part."

Aunt Ruby was nodding along throughout my response like it was some major thing. Instead of four sentences of a mini date, more like a hanging out session.

"So, then who were the people he invited? And are you sure you were okay with it? Amd why did you say for the most part?" It seems like she wont stop questioning me, I knew they still will keep coming, rather I want to respond or not.

"There were three of his friends. A couple named Gloria and Sam, and another guy named Danny. And yes, I am 100 percent okay with them being invited, I prefer that a lot, actually. Because I am not quite ready to be alone like that with him yet," I paused because I was rambling and nothing was sounding good, "But I am sure I will soon enough. I just need to be around him more. And I need him to like me, also."

"That doesn't sound like a bad idea," Aunt Ruby said after nodding multiple times again. "Still didn't answer my last question."

"Thanks," I muttered looking back down at my book. "I met Tiffany."

"Oooh, who was that? Between you and me, I don't like her. She is too stuck up and too invested in herself," Aunt Ruby said leaning forward to gossip.

"I feel the same way," I finally said. "I don't like her. At all. She makes me question a lot about myself."

"Kendall, there is nothing you need to question about you. You are amazing, both inside and outside. There is nothing wrong about you. You care about others, you want to make other people happy. No matter who they are or what they do. Don't compare yourself to anybody. Definitely not her," Aunt Ruby said, pulling me into a hug and rubbing my back again.

I let out a sniffle. Those words meant a lot. It felt nice to hear them. More than I thought I needed to. "Thank you, it means a lot," I whispered pulling back.

"So, how are you going to accomplish Bennett liking you? What's next?" Aunt Ruby questioned, trying to change the subject, most likely.

"Are you bored or something?" I blurted out on accident, wiping my eyes. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to just say that."