Chapter 23 - Friendship

Dev.

That one friend of mine who was so good at heart and who never liked mind games. He had a simple nature. He liked making friends, he liked to enjoy with them. And most importantly he cared for his friends. And I was responsible for that night, when he saw that side of me. I had to talk to him. So I somehow called him to Shivaji Park.

I waited for half an hour and then he came. He parked his scooter and I saw his face which didn't care to make an eye contact not even it felt like smiling. It seemed, he came there for a formal meeting. I assumed that he was being like that because he was disappointed by me. I insisted him to walk with me on the ground.

"What is it?" he said.

When someone asks you that why were they called, and they seem to have no interest in listening to it, then it seems a tough spot to even tell them about anything.

"You seem to be a bit angry." I said.

"Yeah, there are few things which happen but you are kept unaware of them." He said.

"Yes, I do understand." I said, thinking that I didn't share with him what I was going through. "And I'm sorry for it." He looked at me and then he said,

"Hmm..."

"So, should go for a ride on your scooter?"

"Why didn't you tell me about anything Manav?" he said with such regret on his face. I took some time to open my mouth.

"I...couldn't. I was totally in a different state of mind."

"What was happening to you that day?" I kept on looking at the sadness in his eyes. This was his thing. He was disappointed with me, but at the same time, he didn't want to break the friendship we had. I could sense he was about to cry. So I pulled him towards me and gave him a bro-hug. He felt relaxed.

"I'm really sorry for acting like a psycho person that day." He smiled.

"By the way, guess what, I met Naina today in college." I said.

"Oh...what did she say?"

"Well, I happened to have a sudden headache and I lost my balance. That's when she came and managed to help me. She's a very good person Dev, don't ever let her go." I said. He became silent. I didn't understand this. Was it because, I didn't ever talk to him or Shefali or Naina like this? I mean, is this because I changed overnight?

"Dev?"

"Umm...yeah...??" he said.

"Did you listen what I said?"

"Oh yeah, yeah I did. She is nice at heart." He said and he smiled with joy. It felt like due to that one compliment which I gave him, it changed something with his relation with Naina. I thought it was good, so I didn't overthink on it.

His phone rang.

"Who was it?" I asked after he was done with the call.

"My dad. I have to take our new car for repairing."

"You got a car?" I asked.

"Yeah. Last month."

"Congrats!" I said and he smiled. "Hey can you leave me at Shlok's house?" I asked.

"Oh okay." He agreed but he kept a blank face.

* * * * * * * *

Dev dropped me at Shlok's house. I came out of the lift and rang the doorbell. No one opened the door. I knocked it, but still no one came. I thought of calling Shlok, but he didn't pick up. Then I gently pushed the door impromptu, and the door opened. I went in and started finding him. The house was silent. The balcony door was shut; all the fans and windows of the living room were shut. I didn't get any of this, that why was the door open, and what was all this about? I went in and saw his whole house, but no one was there. The house was empty. What was happening? I just didn't understand. Then I saw a glass on the centre table by the sofa. That same glass in which we had played that chits game. There was a crumpled piece of paper in the glass. I took that, unfolded it, and read that was written on it. The chit was for me, and it said that Shlok had left for the airport, and if I could make it, then only I would get to talk to him, otherwise not at all.

I didn't think much and rushed to the airport. I got a taxi and all I could think of is how Rishi had said that he'd never come back, I felt the same feeling then. I didn't want to lose another friend, another support. Somehow I reached the airport. I searched for him. I also called him a couple of times. I couldn't find him. Obviously, this would be a 'now or never' thing, so it had to be very dramatic. Then from nowhere, his voice fell on my ears. I turned behind and there he was with his suitcases. He wore a jacket, and he never ever looked that mature and you know the gentleman type. He radiated some kind of 'This is it' moment.

"What the hell is this?" I said and showed him the chit.

"Life." He said.

"What?"

"I wanted to see if you come here or no. You came, that would mean that you finally agreed to what I said yesterday."

"Yeah, I mean, that conversation yesterday was life changing for me."

"Haha...its not only that Manav. You have finally grown. You are a new Manav now."

"Why are you talking like this?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"And you were going to go after two days right?"

"Yeah, but there's some work there, so I have to leave."

"Oh okay. I don't know how should I thank you for making me what I am now."

"No Manav. I didn't make you. I was a medium remember? It was you who chose to give up the past and focus on the present." He said.

"Well, yeah." I said and I felt good. "So when are you going to be back?"

"Never. I don't think so, I'll come back." He said and I didn't seem right that he said it.

"What? What are you saying?"

"Yeah Manav. Did you meet anyone before coming here? Did you talk to anyone?"

"Yeah, I did. I met Shefali first, and then incidentally I met Naina. And then I met Dev."

"Priyanka?" he asked.

"No, not yet."

"Okay. You should meet her. She needs you." He said.

"Yeah, I will. What do you mean by she needs me?" I asked. The flight announcement happened to come in our conversation.

"That's me Manav. I got to leave." He said and he turned.

"Hey! Wait. What did you mean by she needs me?" I said out loud.

"A friend like you!" he said and he faded away in the crowd ahead.

And I was left there, looking at him dissolve in the crowd. After sometime, his flight took off, making a very loud noise which hit my chest and I sort of thought to go to Priyanka. But where could I find her? I didn't have any guts to call her. Would she be at home? Or college? Or the bus stop? Where? Should I call anyone to find out where she is? No. I don't want anybody to know about this. What should I do?

Let's recollect what Shlok said. 'She needs me, a friend like me.' What does that mean? Is that a hint? Does it relate to my past? Oh no! Not again! I can't let those memories seep into my mind again. Not at all!! Ugh!! This was controlling me again! I closed my eyes tight and my headache came along. I got few glimpses of Rishi, of Priyanka, again and again and the last statement that Shlok said, 'A friend like me'. This was getting more and more irritating! I finally yelled in pain, "NO MORE!!" and everybody around didn't give a fuck. That's when I realized that I yelled in my mind palace and not in reality.

'She needs me, she needs me, she needs me'

That sentence continuously kept triggering in my head while I caught a cab and headed home. I came home and lied on my bed, and the only word I said was,

'Priyanka...'