4 | Four Colors

- = - = - = -

            "So," Yoon began as he threw a few roots into the pot resting over the fire. "Do you have a name?"

            I shook my head for what felt like the millionth time, and Yoon gave me a contemplative look, his crystal-blue eyes flitting with something I thought was amusement.

            "You're so much like Shin-Ah. You don't look the same, of course, but your demeanors are nearly identical," he said with a soft chuckle. "The resemblance is uncanny."

            My expression was chiseled in stone, but my thoughts ran wild at his claim.

            What does he mean by that? Is it a bad thing . . . A good thing? I haven't a single clue.

            "You've only known her for an hour, Yoon," Yona reminded him. "She could be completely different from Shin-Ah, and you wouldn't know because you're too busy jumping to conclusions."

            Jae-Ha, who was lying on his side by the fire, smirked at this. "I don't know, Yona. We've known Shin-Ah for a decent amount of time now," he then pointed between the two of us. "Looking at them side-by-side really reveals a lot. They're even sitting the same way."

            Despite Yona's orders for them to quit analyzing me, everyone looked to me and the masked man sitting near my side. I couldn't say or do anything about it, so I mindlessly let it happen.

            "Their posture is so proper," the person who'd introduced themselves to me as Zeno smiled. "Not slouching at all. It's like their spines have been replaced by metal rods."

            "Same expression," Hak added as he leaned against the curve of a tree. "We can't see Shin-Ah's eyes for obvious reasons, but they both have that stone-cold look to them. They're stoic."

            "Shin-Ah was stuck in a cave," Kija noted. "She was stuck in a hut."

            "They both didn't have names when we first met them, but only half of that is true so far," Yoon said with a hint of apprehension, and Yona peered at him.

            "I think that's enough with the comparing. I suggest that we start talking about some more practical things." Her tone was prickly but her stare was as sharp as a blade. I'd never seen anything like it, a person who could evoke so much fear in someone with only a mere glance.

            Although scary, it filled me with pride knowing I'd been graced with such a fierce leader. She knew how to put her foot down, and she put it down hard when necessary.

            "I'm sorry. That was out of line," Yoon murmured as he looked down at his stew pot. He stirred it a few more times before announcing, "The soup is done."

            Zeno brightened up at that, but Kija only grimaced. "Is there any . . . You know . . . Bugs in it?" He spat the word out like it was poisonous.

            Yoon just shook his head. "No, there isn't. But don't doubt that I won't put any in yours if you do something unnecessary."

            As Kija burst into a flurry of pleads, Yoon ignored him and proceeded to serve the soup. I hesitated when it was time for me to take my bowl. I could sense that Yoon didn't entirely trust me, but he handed the thing to me without question just as he'd done before with the sandals.

            Once it was in my hand he spoke to me as he filled a bowl for himself. "I don't know what your usual diet is, but there's plenty of good things in there. It's nutritious. Might not be as tasty though . . . "