12 | The Voice of A Siren

- = - = - = -

        I couldn't believe it.

        Not only had I spoken, but I had also gotten a full glimpse of Shin-Ah's face for the very first time. The situation, however, prevented me from basking in whatever a person would at such a sight, because I was still undoubtedly frazzled by the emotional chaos I'd experienced when my powers failed me.

I'd felt so helpless seeing his blood stain the entirety of my hands as his face became the spitting image of agony. Granted, I wasn't entirely familiar with my healing abilities yet. I could count the amount of times I'd used it on my fingers, but that didn't shake away the gut-wrenching fear that'd almost consumed me when the blood refused to disappear.

It'd worked thanks to the help of Jae-Ha's calming words. He was able to redirect my focus from the problem at hand to what I needed to in order to actually solve it.

Now I can understand why Ik-Soo insisted on all of that meditating. If I can't find peace with myself during pressing times, then I won't be of any use . . .

"Are you alright?" The deep voice of Jae-Ha asked me, and I nearly jumped out of my own skin. I turned around to give him a disgruntled look, not caring about keeping my expression void of emotion anymore, and he chuckled a bit.

"Geez, you've gotten a lot more individualistic over this past week, haven't you? Here you are, making faces and using your voice. It's refreshing to know that you aren't just an empty shell who can grow flowers with the flick of a wrist."

Not knowing what to do (and surely not knowing whether or not I wanted to use my voice again), I looked over at Shin-Ah's bare chest, down to the area just below his ribs where his wound had previously been.

I suppose I have changed quite a bit, My thoughts slithered back to when I'd seen my reflection on the surface of the pond. It'd seemed like so long ago, but it'd only been a matter of hours since then. To think that so many things can happen when you put your all into something.

Jae-Ha crouched down next to me to take a look at Shin-Ah as well, his eyes swimming with something like relief. "Thanks for healing him . . . I would've come sooner with him if it hadn't been for the rocky terrain. When I felt that you were running towards us though, I sort of threw caution into the wind and decided to meet you halfway," he said with a hint of sheepishness. "I'm glad it was easy to find you. Your presence was overwhelming out here. I wasn't sure if it was because of your power levels or your sheer desire to come and help us. Either way, good job flower girl . . . I'm certain that Shin-Ah appreciates it despite being out cold."

My heart felt heavy as I tried to imagine what'd happened for him to end up with such a grueling wound. I wasn't the one to ask about physical injuries. I'd only seen a few in my life- most of which I tried to dislodge from my memories, but I knew enough about them to realize how nasty Shin-Ah's had been. If it'd gone any deeper into his side it could've been fatal.

"How . . . ?" My fingers balled up into anxious fists. It felt like I was talking with someone else's voice, but it was very clearly mine. I was scared as that peaceful silence fell over the forest again, like water over rounded glass.

Jae-Ha appeared to space out for a second. His gaze almost became distant before he blinked a few times, shaking his head back and forth with vigor. "Ah . . . That voice of yours is truly captivating," he observed with a confused smile. "Never mind that though. You were asking about how Shin-Ah ended up like that, yeah?"