9 | Training

- = - = - = -

            "Yoon used to cook for me all the time when he was younger," Ik-Soo said as he carefully fed the fire with some small twigs he'd collected from just outside the hut. "I always told him that he didn't have to, but he'd argue with me and claim that he'd starve if I was the one who cooked . . . He was mostly right. I couldn't cook to save my life, but he taught me some things before leaving with Yona and Hak, so don't worry about going hungry!"

            As I listened to Ik-Soo ramble, my gaze was stuck on the pot resting just above the fire. It was pitched up by a makeshift stand that Yoon had probably thrown together so Ik-Soo wouldn't burn himself while trying to keep the fire going. Given the amount of times I'd seen the man trip over nothing throughout the evening, I wasn't surprised that Yoon had taken some extra precautions for his friend . . .

            Yoon had given Ik-Soo some ingredients for soup before leaving with the others.

            After discussing the matter of me staying with Ik-Soo a bit more, the group decided that they needed to start traveling as soon as possible. They made sure we were properly situated before setting off to the other side of the mountains where the troubled village was waiting.

     "We don't know how bad things will be once we get there, so we need to hurry," Hak had said with a sense of urgency.

            "The sooner we get there and take care of things the sooner we'll be reunited with our cute little flower whisperer," Jae-Ha had given the top of my head a small pat that made me want to shy away. "Don't miss us too much~"

            "We'll be back before you know it," Yona's voice had been filled with optimism and sadness as she pulled me into a gentle hug that I had half of a mind to return, albeit awkwardly. Even though I knew nothing terrible would happen if I did, I still wasn't used to touching people. It was incredibly foreign to me. Yona's smile was wide as she waved me goodbye. "Good luck with your discoveries!"

     I remembered the sinking feeling that'd nagged at my chest as I watched them leave. I didn't know what the feeling really meant, but I was sure that'd I'd understand it after Ik-Soo taught me more about the human heart.

     Hopefully I'll be more like them once they return, I secretly prayed as I watched Ik-Soo drop his stirring spoon into the pot for the sixth time. I've always been rather observant of others, but I'm not expressive at all. I also want to develop a good level of transparency with my emotions. I can't expect people to understand me if I'm always hiding behind my mask . . .

     Progress. I wanted to make progress. I had the drive, the determination, but I didn't know where to apply it. The man hopelessly trying to prepare our supper was the one who would show me the way. I just hoped that Yona had been telling me the truth when she said he was capable of helping me.

     "Dinner is ready," he said with delight after clumsily fishing the spoon out. "I'll dish you up a bowl."

     He picked up two bowls (I assumed that one of them had been Yoon's in the past) and went to ladle some broth into one. When he accidentally lopped some of the hot liquid onto the side of his hand, I quickly rose from my seat to assist him.

     Silently, I took the ladle from his hand so he could properly hold the bowl and started to ladle in the soup, being careful not to spill any of it.

     "You're kind," he said with a smile as he watched me, and I looked up at his half-hidden features. I swore I could see hints of magenta hiding beneath the blonde curtains of his bangs, but I didn't bother trying to verify it as I continued to fill the bowl.