19 | Impulse

- = - = - = - = -

| Chin-Sun |

Nothing had changed but everything seemed different.

The day Shin-Ah and I had our little spout of honesty had passed without further dispute, though my mind still refused to ignore all that had happened. Despite having agreed that we would figure things out together, we hadn't spoken to one another much. We only conversed out of necessity when we were hunting.

Sadly enough, Shin-Ah seemed as though he knew something that I didn't. Upon his return to camp I realized that him and Zeno had left together. What they had talked about, I wasn't sure, but I had a hunch it had something to do with us.

There wasn't time for speculation. We had been traveling for three days straight, toward a mission that we didn't know much about. The only information we were sure of was in regards to a growing army. One that was surely up to no good.

"I think this will be a good place to stop for a while," Hak yawned as we came across a good patch of trees that hid us from the flat grassy plains nearby.

We were finally coming within range of our targets. This meant it was time to rest. No one seemed sure that we would be able to get a good night of sleep if we were caught up in battle. Everyone was tired and the air felt heavy. Building a fire was out of the question since the smoke would give us away, so we set up the tent and gathered in a circle. Since staring at the flames wasn't an option, I focused on a nearby tree as everyone talked amongst each other.

"So what do we know about this army? Is there anything about them that will help us in dismantling their plans?" Kija asked.

"There's a lot of them," Hak said plainly. "I caught a better glimpse of their composition when I took a stroll earlier. It's nothing we can't handle."

"So we're just going to barge into their camp?" Kija asked dubiously.

"Well," Jae-Ha drew out. "We are Dragons. How is this any different from the previous times we went to beat up the bad guys?"

My eyes were drawn back to everyone's faces when no one answered right away. I was unsettled when I realized they were all glancing at me.

"What is it?" I asked timidly.

Yona shifted in her spot. "We don't know who's looking for you right now, Chin-Sun. It could be anyone. It wouldn't be surprising if this army had some kind of connection with the people that kept you locked up . . . "

"It would be bad if we lost you during battle," Shin-Ah added. "There's no telling what would happen to you."

I felt a weight settle in my chest at their speculations. Was I really that hopeless? I didn't want to hinder their plans with my conspicuous background, but I also wanted to help . . . Was I unreasonable to think that was possible?

I said nothing in return which only fueled the uncomfortable silence. If everyone else's stares weren't enough then Shin-Ah's surely was. I could feel his presence searing into me like hot coals. It burned, but I was beginning to feel numb again. The hum of the forest was fading and a bitter cold began creeping through me.

Without thinking I stood from my spot. What's wrong with me? Why did I ever think things were going to go smoothly? I'm just a nuisance.

"Chin-Sun?" Yona called my name as I began to back away from the circle. "Is everything okay?"

"I just need some time to myself," I answered. My voice was flat and unreadable. Cold, almost. I'm sure it was obscure to them but it seemed so familiar to me. "Don't worry about me. I'll be back soon."