Chapter 1

Feyre

I walked with Rhys, the starlight illuminating his smile as he looked at me. 

"What?" I asked, and his smile grew.

"I have a surprise for you."

"Oh?" I raised my eyebrows.

He smirked and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, then underneath my legs.

"Hang on!" he said into my hair as the night dissolved into shadow. Suddenly, Rhys let out a cry of pain and let go of me. I would have fallen, but when winnowing, there was no sense of gravity. Instead, I felt an insubstantial feeling. Of course, I had winnowed myself countless times, but there I was in control of the shadows. This time I was not, and by the looks of it, neither was Rhys.

The swirling mist spat us out, and a slimy, wet substance. Water. I clawed my way up and gasped for breath, coughing and spluttering. My head swivelled to find Rhys. Nowhere in sight. Holding my breath, I ducked down underneath the water to see if I could spot him. If anything had happened to him...

But there he was. Nothing but a shadowy shape, but from the way that his short jet- black hair blew around him, I knew that he was there. But perhaps not alive. I put all my fae strength into swimming against the strong current to reach my mate whose life might be in danger. I reached him and felt his chest. Nothing. But maybe it was just the water in his lungs, but...

No. I would not think of any of that. I gripped his now soaked shirt and struggled my way upwards. I finally reached the surface, and once again, I gulped down air. Looking down at Rhys, his chest. Unmoving. Not breathing. Dead.