Chapter 5

Aelin smirked at me as we walked away. "He's wise. He listens to me."

I shared her smirk and she opened the door to an empty room; There was a bed, a couch, a few chairs and a table. Basic, but... More than I had hoped for.

"I'm opposite you," she said and left me with Rhys in my arms, who was still unconscious. I lowered him onto the bed and collapsed on the couch. I sighed and fixed my gaze upon Rhys. He looked so peaceful- sleeping- it was such a contrast to his brink of death just hours earlier. I shivered, though, not from cold.

I must have dozed off because the next thing I knew a deep groan sounded from the bed. I jerked awake, and I was staring at a fully conscious Rhys. I ran to him and hugged him hard, tears springing to my eyes. He seemed bewildered but hugged me back. 

"What happened?" he asked, his voice rough from sleep.

"You nearly..." I trailed off, burying my face in his neck. "Your winnowing went out of control and we landed in the water with a strong current... You went under too long... I thought... Then Aelin came and she healed you..."

I could not form coherent sentences. I was too grateful. But Rhys got the gist.

"Where are we in Prythian?" he asked wearily. "And who is Aelin?"

"We are not in Prythian, we are in Erilea, a different world, and Aelin is the heir to a lost court... There is also a male by the name of Rowan, her mate. He was in hawk form when he carried us to shore."

Realizing we both would have been dead if not for Aelin and Rowan, Rhys held me tighter.

"I missed your smirks and half- smiles," I whispered. He gave a bit of both now, and then his face was wet with tears.

"I did not know you cared that much," he whispered back. "And I am honoured you do, Feyre darling."

Gone was the teasing glint in his eye. His beautiful, deep blue, almost violet, eyes. Those that would never have opened again, if not for Aelin and Rowan. 

"I care more than I can ever say; if you go..." I gulped. "I would go with you."

He knew I was not talking about any place on this Earth.