Chapter 4

You know when you feel like you are about to shatter from the suspense and the desperation of knowing something? That was how I felt, but so, so, much more. Because I wanted to avenge someone who was the sun where I was a planet; the rain where I was a flower.

"Your mother is not dead," this line was directed at me. "That was a trap."

"Quiet." Tamlin snarled, but Rhys pinned him with a stare.

"Continue." My father said. Voice even and clear.

"Tamlin took Feyre away so he could lure you here and..." He gulped. "Kill you."

"You little..." Tamlin started, but was cut short by a burst of Rhys's power.

"How did I see her body, then?" I challenged.

"Magic can do many things." Rick sounded bitter, seemed like he was feeling resentment, even.

"Where is she?" Rhys asked- no... Commanded.

"In her room." Rick took a breath. Her old one, I mean.

Suddenly my father's arms were around me, and we faded into mist and shadow.

Then we saw my mother, sitting on a bed in a room, as shining and beautiful as I remembered. Suddenly, I wanted to weep, which was completely inappropriate because I was... Not happy. That quantity, that depth of my emotion could not simply be described as happiness. Mere happiness... No. More... Like something essential was taken from my life, and then returned.

Suddenly, I realized that Feyre's expression had not changed since we had come into the room. I anxiously crossed the room, barely taking in the splendour of the room, and stood next to my statue-like mother.

"Mom?" I softly asked. "Are you alright?"

What a silly question? Nobody was alright.

"What's happened to her?" I whirled on my father, who's expression mirrored my own; traces of relief and joy, but mostly inhabited by worry and panic.

"He drugged her; she's not dead." A voice came from the doorway and we both tensed. But it was Rick, trying to reassure us. "Give her 2 hours."

So we did. And slowly and surely, Feyre opened her eyes. It was obvious she had been drugged, but we could not tell more beyond that fact, and the fact that she was OK. Safe and OK.