Chapter 2: The Meeting

As they reached the opposite bank, the companions found a strange sight before them. Estë and Lorien stood there, as expected, alongside Manwë, Varda, and Nienna. Immediately they dropped to single knees before Manwë ordered them to rise.

"What is it you desire, lords?" Nerdanel moved forward first, dipping her head to the side in question.

"A... matter has arisen that requires delicate dealings," Manwë told them. "Ilúvatar has done something we do not quite understand."

"What do you mean, my lord?" Kánafinwë looked as confused as the other felt. "What has happened?"

Varda touched her husband's shoulder. She leaned in and spoke quietly. "Perhaps we should show them."

Manwë nodded. He and Varda stepped aside, Lorien and Estë parting from them to the left. Between them the elves saw a woman lying in relaxation, asleep, on the green lawn of Lorellin. Her red hair, barely falling to her shoulders, reminded them all instantly of the strange color that Mahtan had passed down through Nerdanel. She had on a light white dress and her skin was pale.

"Who is that?" Findekáno asked in confusion. "I have not seen her before."

Nienna responded immediately, "That, dear children, is why you are here. We do not fully understand what Ilúvatar has done, but somehow this... child of Ilúvatar has been placed here, by other means than normal life cycle."

"More than that," Varda added. "Her fëa is not of the firstborn, and yet her hröa is."

Nerdanel smiled. "While I do not fully comprehend your meaning, lords, I think I understand why you have brought me here at least. She is in a strange place, in a strange body, and needs care. Is this true?"

"Yes." Manwë smiled at Nerdanel. "That was our thinking. We know you are wise, even among the Eldar, Nerdanel, daughter of Mahtan. We had hoped to place her in your care."

Nelyafinwë cocked his head and looked at her. "She is shorter than the average Elda."

"We do not know, but guess this is because she was not first an Elda," explained Manwë. "We do not know what she was, but we guess of the Second kindred that has been mentioned to you."

"We wished for all four of you to take her into your care," Varda quickly continued. "Nerdanel, be as a mother to her. She appeared terrified upon waking in our presence. We do not wish for her to fear this world."

"I shall do my best, my Queen," Nerdanel agreed.

Varda continued for the other three. "Be brothers to her, friends. She has a great deal to learn about the ways of the Eldar. You will understand why I say such things when Estë wakes her. She spoke of things confusing to the Valar, things we have not seen or heard from Ilúvatar."

"Of course, my queen," Findekáno assured her with a nod.

Káno nodded. "She will want for nothing, not if we can show and give it to her."

"Nelyafinwë, what have you to say?" Nienna looked at the only elf who had yet to speak.

"I will help as I am able. I am merely thinking of how my father shall react," he murmured. "It will certainly take some adjusting to. Where will she live, for one? The Ambarussa are still a hand full despite growing in age. Adding a confused elda to our family might not be the best idea."

"I went and spoke with Fëanáro before sending you your summons," Nienna told them. The elves saw, for the briefest moment, surprise pass over the other Valar's faces, but it vanished in an instant as she continued. "He is willing to give it a try. He assured me that she will be well cared for as well as he is able, if she chooses to stay with Nerdanel and the family that still lives in your first house at Tirion."