Chapter 11: Jewel Shores

A light knock on her door jolted Eve awake quickly. Her breath came in short pants and she blinked several times to clear her eyes, staring up at the grey stone ceiling. Her dreams had been filled with images from her previous life. She'd relived the car accident, and remembered vividly wishing for the pain to leave. She remembered seeing Sophia's lifeless body crushed in the remnants of the car as she'd lain motionless on the concrete. Tears flowed down her face and she tried to rub them away as she got up and opened the door.

"Good morning," she said with a forced smile.

Findekáno didn't buy it at all. "You've been crying?" He and Findaráto stood outside her door and both frowned upon seeing her reddened eyes. Findekáno continued quickly, "Are you alright?"

"I'll be fine," she insisted, furiously trying to rid her face of tears. "I'm fine. Trust me. I'll be fine."

Neither elf looked particularly convinced. Findaráto's frown only deepened. "We thought to show you the city today alongside some of my family, but if you are unwell..."

"I'm fine," she snapped back before suddenly curling into herself and mumbling apologies. "I- I'm sorry."

The princes exchanged looks of concern. Findaráto had flinched from her anger, but he did not hold it against her and quickly accepted her apology. "How about this. You and Finno go ahead. He knows the city well, too. I will let me family know that you wished to go with us alone. They will understand. I will catch up to you after dining with them."

"I will make sure we find breakfast in the markets," Findekáno added quickly. "The pastries in Alqualondë are exquisite."

Eve watched their hopeful faces skeptically. But in the end she nodded. "Okay fine. Let me change though."

"I shall wait here," Findekáno assured her.

And so she shut the door, turning back into her guestroom. Her bare feet made pitter patter noises as she crossed the stone floor to her bag. She found the blue and gold dress that she'd worn just briefly the previous day and slipped into it. She thanked God that it didn't have a tie back. She didn't think Findekáno would much appreciate having to tie it for her. Riding boots were her shoe of choice; Eve didn't know if sandals would work for any real amount of walking. Besides, the dress covered most of her foot anyways. And so with a quick look in the mirror to check how red her eyes looked, she nodded to herself and opened the door.

"Ready?" Findekáno asked her with a small, sad smile.

She nodded back and straightened up. "As I'll ever be."

And so she pulled closed her door and followed her guide through the halls she had taken the evening before. Now they went to the throne room and out the double doors into the open sunshine. The light reflected off the pearl and ivory towers blindingly, and Eve gratefully realized the dark paths gave some relief. Findekáno took her by paths they hadn't taken now, and she soon found herself on a walking road.

"The best foods are down at sea level," he revealed. "However there is no reason to rush there. Many sights remain between us and the ocean."

Eve nodded in response, watching seagulls fly to and fro above her. One landed nearby and she smiled at it.

"Good morning, sir," she chuckled as it wandered towards them, no doubt looking for food from them. She crouched down. "Sorry, sir. No food here."

Findekáno laughed at her reaction to the bird. "Do you have such creatures in your home?"

"Oh yeah, definitely. I didn't even live near the ocean and they'd come by." Eve stood back up and shrugged at Finno's amused expression. "They're funny."