Chapter 15: Who's Who

When Eve rolled over the next morning to find a short red haired elf staring at her, she groaned. The elf just looked at her curiously, quietly. He didn't say anything so she remained lying on her side. They stared at each other.

"Which one am I talking to?" Eve finally asked.

"Ambarussa." The small elf boy said simply and without even a laugh, though his eyes shined with mirth.

Eve rolled her eyes. "Thanks. You're so helpful."

"You are welcome." The elf shifted his weight to his left leg. He stared at Eve a little longer and she returned his gaze without flinching. Finally he spoke up. "Why do you sleep with your eyes closed?"

She had not been expecting that question. She wasn't sure what she'd been expecting, but it wasn't that. "Um, because it's called sleeping?"

"We do not sleep with closed eyes. It is frightening to lose sight of what is around." The as of yet unidentified Ambarussa explained quickly.

"Are you afraid of the dark," Eve teased him. She still lay under her blankets and covers, watching him closely.

He scoffed. "I do not get scared. Pityo might be scared of the dark. I don't know."

She grinned wide. "I'm talking to Telvo then, huh? Nice try, little man."

Telvo folded his arms and huffed. "If you do not get up now, Pityo and I will eat all of your breakfast."

"Leave, then I'll get up," she said quickly. "Or I'll eat you for breakfast."

Telvo cracked a smile and nodded. He dashed out of the room and down the hall to the kitchen, skidding to a halt before his brother who sat eating with Nerdanel and Fëanáro.

Nerdanel smiled. "Was she awake?"

"No. I woke her up," Telvo said, shifting into his chair with a smug smile on his face. He took a bite of the fluffy pancake on his plate.

Fëanáro exchanged a glance with his wife. Turning to his youngest son, he raised an eyebrow and asked a single question. "Did you dump water on her? Do not lie."

Telvo and Pityo smirked at each other but Telvo shook his head. "No. I did not."

The relief on Nerdanel's face nearly caused Fëanáro to laugh. But he merely nodded and continued to eat, asking the twins questions between bites about their studies. "And did you remember their names?"

"Of course!" Pityo shovelled pancake bites into his mouth. "Tata and Tatië, Imin and Iminyë-"

"Enel and Enelyë!" Telvo jumped in at the end with the last pair.

"You are doing especially well with the lessons on the Cuivienyarna," said Fëanáro with a tiny smile at Telvo's eagerness. "I am proud of you for studying so hard."

With a grin, Pityo shouted, "Soon we will know more than even Káno!"

They spoke quietly until Eve came wandering into their kitchen area. She shuffled her feet, glad that Nerdanel noticed her quickly. "Good morning."

Nerdanel smiled and stood to help her. "Good morning! I am glad you found the new dresses. They came yesterday." She walked to Eve and showed her to an empty seat at the table. Once Eve sat, Nerdanel placed a plate of pancakes and biscuits before her. "Eat."

"Thank you!" Eve smiled at everyone and took a bite. She grinned even wider. "These are wonderful."

"My sons tell me you are interested in painting," Fëanáro began a few minutes later as he and his family finished eating. He did not mind that Eve still ate, rather, he was glad it gave her time to speak with him. "Did you paint before?"