Chapter 9: Learning Curve

A/N: First off, I cannot thank you all enough for the support being shown to this story. So thank you everyone. I started this on a whim and it's become one of my favorites quickly. Hope you enjoy chapter 10 (9 excluding prologue)

Fan art by Unicadia on FFN

Findekáno led Eve out of their house and into a large yard area. At the far end, a stable stood with six horses. Five of them roamed the yard, but one just stood in its stall. At the sight of the horses, Eve smiled wide.

"You do like horses, then," Findekáno chuckled. "Come. Those two over there are Turvo's, but the rest are mine." He walked forward, avoiding the two furthest from the stable. He gestured for Eve to follow.

She did so, walking calmly straight to the mare in the stable. Findekáno just watched her, curious. When she reached the stall, the blue roan horse came slightly forward. Eve held out both her hands, palms, up, and the mare sniffed them. When she felt the horse's nose on her hands she giggled. It tickled, and she instantly beamed. She heard Finno come up behind her and she turned to look at him.

"You have found Alassë," he told her, keeping his voice calm so as not to alarm the mare. "She is a wonderful companion."

"She's gorgeous," Eve added immediately. "Which horse do you ride? I don't want to take your favorite."

Findekáno shook his head. "Do not worry about that. I ride Turcanno." He pointed to a large white stallion that stood with its head held high. "I fear he lets no one ride him but me." Leading Alassë out of the stall with but a word, he offered her a hand up.

"You guys ride bareback?" She paused for a moment. "I haven't done that in years."

"What is it you do, then?" Findekáno looked at her in confusion.

She gestured to the horse's back. "We use saddles. They sit on the horse and it keeps us in control and not exhausted from holding ourselves up."

"Well, do not worry," Finno assured her, though he still appeared confused. "You will not need one of those. Alassë understands speech, like all good horses. You do not need to control her." He paused before continuing. "As for becoming tired, I do not think you will have issue. I do not know anyone who has trouble, and you are an Elda now."

Eve made a face at him but nodded. Finno leaned into the horse and spoke something, and the horse glanced to Eve. She suddenly felt left out, but not for long.

"Alassë shall carry you if you wish." Findekáno smiled. "You say you have ridden like elves before?"

"Yes, I trained for bareback. But it's been years," she muttered her response, focused in sizing up the horse and figuring out how she'd get on. "I don't suppose you guys use reins?"

"I am not familiar with that term either, so no," Findekáno replied, shaking his head.

Eve muttered something Finno didn't quite catch. He smiled at her, and crouching down, offered her a step up. She looked at him skeptically. "No box?"

"Would you like me to get you a box?" His grey eyes just glittered in amusement.

She huffed and narrowed her eyes, feeling quite glad that she'd smacked him when they'd first met. "No, I'm fine. Just do your job and don't drop me."

Finno grinned. "Of course my lady!"

And so, grumbling the entire time, Eve prepared to use Findekáno's hands as a step. Before taking the leap of faith, she pet Alassë on the neck and asked her to be nice. She didn't miss Findekáno's snickering at that. And so finally ready, she stepped and vaulted herself carefully onto the horse's back.