Chapter 18: Horse Racing

Káno was the one to wake Eve up. Laurelin glowed softly with the beginning of day, mixed with Telperion in the dawn. Eve smiled and put her cat in her pack. Changing stations had been set up nearby, large curtained off areas for men and women. Káno pointed her to the right place. She took her gold and red dress with her, changing quickly, before reconvening with the grandchildren of Finwë.

"What's the plan?" Eve bounced on the balls of her feet in excitement. All around her, elves moved about. She took everything in hungrily.

Nelyo walked over and drank from a glass bottle of water. Then he pointed towards a large crowd. "Tyelko has entered in the morning's horse race. He does it every year."

"Is he good?" Eve looked around and realized that the blonde haired brother had disappeared.

Moryo snorted. "Yeah. He always wins."

"He has the best horse," Káno explained quickly. "Oromë gifted Aranyë to him. She is one of the fastest horses I have ever seen."

"So we're gonna go watch, right?" Eve clapped her hands together. "This is so exciting. I'm so excited right now."

The brothers all laughed, even Moryo cracking a smile at her enthusiasm. A moment later, Findekáno came over to them from changing. He brought with him Findaráto and a maiden with warm golden blonde hair. She stood shorter than the prince, and her grey eyes sparkled joyously. A crown of pink blossoms adorned her head.

"Greetings, friends!" Findaráto waved to them and then turned to Eve. "Eve this is Amarië. She is a friend of mine."

"Hi there," Eve waved back.

Amarië smiled and spoke, her voice soft. "Hello, Eve. Elenwë got this for you, and asked that I bring it." She held out a flower crown of hundreds of tiny white blossoms. "She was right. It will look fantastic. May I?"

Eve nodded and while the men spoke together, allowed Amarië to place the flower crown on her hair and redo the braid. Once she had finished, Amarië's face beamed with pride. She told Eve how great it looked.

"Thank you!" Eve walked with Amarië to where the other elves stood. The broke into the circle between Findaráto and Findekáno.

"We should make for the track soon, if we want good seats," Nelyo said when they joined them. "Once we find seats, some of us may purchase food and bring it for the rest."

"A good plan," Findaráto agreed. "We should start over there now."

Eve walked in the midst of the group. Amarië was the closest elf in height that she had come across so far and she found this strangely comforting. They dodged through crowds heading this way and that. There seemed to be many different activities going on all across the area. Soon the race track loomed before them.

"Turvo is saving seats for us at the finish," Findekáno told them, taking the lead. "He and Elenwë found the seats this morning."

"Sweet!" Eve rubbed her hands together in excitement. When Moryo, who stood beside her, sent her a confused look she chuckled. "Sweet just means great."

"Is it a word similar to 'cool'?" Findekáno glanced back and smirked at her.

With a tiny eye roll she nodded. "Yes it is."

He laughed and guided them on through the thickening crowds. Without even turning back he shot back, "Ah, this is good! Another confusing word!"

Amarië chuckled beside Eve. "Ignore him."

"I've learned to," Eve replied, laughing along with her.

They reached the entrance to the seating area. Raised seats went about ten rows up, but Findekáno guided them along the inside walkway to the far side. The walk around the track took a good fifteen minutes. The seat already stood half full, and as they walked around it became even more packed in. Finally they reached the far side and saw Turvo sitting with Elenwë. Findekáno waved to them.