Chapter 14: Midnight Serenade

Fan art by fanfiction.net user Unicadia

With the waxing of Laurelin in the morning, Eve, Findaráto, and Findekáno left Alqualondë. Findo assured Eve it would not be the only trip there when she admitted to regretting spending so much time asleep. He reminded her that Alqualondë was but a day's ride away, and that his family would always welcome her visit.

It remained an uneventful ride home the entire time. Eve stayed relatively quiet, seemingly content to take in the world around her. The cousins spoke to each other about various matters concerning a "Lady Amarië" and Lady Elenwë. Eve didn't pay much attention, but based on the blushing face of Findaráto, Amarië was someone special. She nearly laughed once or twice at how Findekáno teased him.

They reached the Noldorin docks at Eldamar when the first stars began poking through the cloud cover. Then on to Tirion they went. Findekáno and Findaráto took Eve to the house of Lord Fëanáro and found it busier than usual. Nerdanel sat outside in the grass with her two eldest and two youngest sons. The twins threw a ball to each other under a giant oak tree while Nelyo sat beside his mother. They sat in silence as Káno played his lyre for them. Findekáno dismounted and helped Eve down from Alassë. Upon seeing them, a new voice announced her arrival.

"Eve is back," Moryo said, appearing from the doorway of their giant house. He walked forward, down the path and into the massive yard. Joining his mother and older brothers, he reclined on the grass.

Nerdanel, Nelyafinwë, and Kánafinwë looked over quickly, and shot smiles in her direction. Findaráto continued on home, leaving Findekáno to say hello. As the stars shined far above, he and Eve approached leading their horses behind then.

"Finno." Nerdanel smiled. "Eve! I am glad you are home. How did you enjoy Alqualondë?"

"It was super cool. The entire place is amazing," Eve told them. She turned to Alassë and ordered her to follow Findekáno before continuing. "The beaches have gems! How cool is that."

Findekáno jumped in. "Cool apparently has many meanings. Good and interesting are two." His eyes sparkled with mirth.

She rolled her eyes at him before nodding. "Sorry. I forget you guys speak all properly and everything." As Nerdanel stood, Eve walked over and joined her. "Thank you for helping me out so much, and letting me go."

But Nerdanel merely laughed. "Do not worry, child. You are free to do what you wish here. I will merely guide you."

"You're like my new mom," Eve only half joked. "I think I'd be pretty lost without you."

The smile that settled on Nerdanel's face was filled with warmth and happiness. She reached out and embraced the shorter woman. "I am glad to be your mother here."

By now, the twins had stopped their game and come over. Telvo and Pityo watched their embrace with skepticism and teasing. But Nelyo and Káno had genuine smiles. Both knew that though Nerdanel loved her seven sons with all her heart, she had always wished for a daughter.

"I will leave her with you," Findekáno said a few moments later. He bowed to the family. "Alassë and Turcanno need to be stabled."

Eve turned and smiled at Findekáno. "I owe you a lot of thanks too. I'll make it up to you somehow, I promise!"

"Seeing you happy is reward enough," Findekáno assured her with a chuckle. He didn't miss the look of surprise Nelyo shot him, though he chose to ignore it. "Farewell, my friends."

The cousins all waved goodbye, Telvo and Pityo shouting goodbyes after him. Nerdanel bowed to Findekáno as he left, leading the grey and black horses down the road to his own house. When he left their sight, Nerdanel took Eve by the hand and led her to where Káno, Nelyo, and Moryo now lounged on the paradisiacal lawn. Nerdanel gestured for her to sit down as the twins picked up their ball game again.