Chapter 32: The First Engagement

A/N: Wanted to let you know at the beginning... This is the LAST full chapter for this story in the trilogy. Soon I will release an epilogue/teaser, a thank you page for all my readers, and then the first chapter of A Different Kind of Purgatory. But more about that at the end. Enjoy!

Findekáno walked Eve home that evening. Silver and darkness mingled in the air together, and street lamps glowing with mystical flames lit the way back to Fëanáro and Nerdanel's. They held hands but didn't speak. A few other elves passed them by but barely noticed who they were. Finno kept glancing at her and Eve finally broke down laughing.

"What?!" she demanded, stopping under a tree at the side of the road.

Finno paused and chuckled a moment later. He faced her and shook his head. "I just... I feel so much like Turvo it almost makes me sick."

"Really?" she laughed along with him. "Does liking me always make you feel sick?"

Finno protested instantly. "That is unfair. That is not what I meant!"

Eve giggled and swung her arm, pulling his hand along as they stood beside the road. "I know. I just wanted to scare you."

"You are terrible," Finno muttered, feigning disappointment and dropping her hand.

"It's really too easy." But as she found herself looking at Finno, her eyes locked on his own and she found she couldn't look away. It was his turn to smirk, causing her to pout, but still she looked at him.

Finno winked. "Now who's staring?"

But Eve merely nodded and continued matter-of-factly. "In my defense, I've said since the beginning that you're gorgeous." Finno burst out laughing, doubling over, causing Eve to grin. "What? Didn't expect that response?"

"No I did not." He grabbed her hand again and pulled her down the road. "Come on. You promised to show me the painting you did of Alqualondë!"

Eve smiled and hurried after him. They walked the last mile or so to the house of Fëanáro, and when they got there they found the front yard empty but heard shouting and laughter from around the back. Eve and Finno went to join them. When they reached the large courtyard behind their house, they found everyone but Fëanáro and Curvo.

Nelyo sat between his mother and Káno at a table, the two sons drinking red wine together. Nearby, Moryo reclined on an outdoor sofa, reading a book. In the grass, the Ambarussa ran around playing ball. Eve smiled as she saw Nerdanel laughing alongside her two eldest sons beside her at the antics of the Ambarussa.

"Eve!" Pityo shouted suddenly, halting for a brief moment before running through the grass and across the patio to where Finno and Eve came around on the path. "Finno's here too!"

By now the light had fully fallen, but there were many torches in the back to light the area, and as Eve had discovered upon arriving in Valinor, nights were hardly dark at all because of Telperion. She grabbed Pityo in a hug when he ran to her.

"There's the newest couple in the House of Finwë!" Nelyo grinned, raising his glass.

Eve and Finno both shuffled when Nerdanel looked at them, but her smile eased their worries. She gestured for them to join her at the table and they did so. Eve sat next to her and Finno beside Eve.

"I am so happy for you, both of you," Nerdanel smiled taking their hands. "Don't worry about my husband either. We broke the news to him earlier and he is taking his frustration out in his forge."

"He's been spending a lot of time there," Nelyo replied in surprise. "More than usual, I mean."

"Yes," Nerdanel nodded. "He refuses to tell me what he works on, but apparently it is more challenging than anything he's ever attempted. He is always smiling when he talks of it, though, so I believe it goes well."