Chapter 4: How Many Cousins

"This place is insane!" Eve grinned widely as they made their way up some steps. She stopped them, looking up. "Holy crap, that's a big tower."

"That is where my Grandfather lives, King Finwë," Nelyo told her. "Findekáno is supposed to be here today, watching my cousins."

"I do feel bad about smacking his face," she frowned, though she also had to try very hard to suppress a laugh as she recalled his reaction. "I didn't realize he was royalty."

Káno smiled. "Would you feel bad if he wasn't royalty?"

Eve shrugged in response as she took the sights in once more. They walked across a large courtyard now, at least fifty yards across, in the center of which a small statue stood depicting two elves, and a giagantic white tree.

"Those are Tata and Tatië, the first of the Noldor to awaken," Káno answered her curious glance. "Finwë commissioned that at the founding of Tirion."

"Awakened?" Eve turned to him. "What, they were asleep?"

Nelyo smiled. "Truly we should educate you on our history before you talk to strangers."

"Agreed!" Eve nodded as they walked past the monument.

She found herself enjoying this place immensely. The colors here seemed somehow richer, and the sunlight warmer, than anywhere back on her Earth. And for now, keeping herself busy meant she did not have time to dwell on the reality of her death. Instead she pushed it away, to the back of her mind, and focused herself on the beauty she experienced now.

After crossing the square they reached a small set of steps leading to the massive tower palace. There were no guards, Eve noticed, nothing like the White House or Buckingham Palace back home. Instead it felt merely peaceful. Káno and Nelyo led her inside the main mahogany doors.

A crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling of the entrance way. A thousand sparkling diamonds decorated the sconces there, and the light shot out at many angles through the crystals. It caused Eve to pause. What drew her out of her stupor was the pitter patter of small feet and the shout of someone far older.

Findekáno's voice was heard. "Artanis!"

Into the entrance came a small girl. She stood about two feet high and wore a dress of white and gold. Her hair, gold and yet tinged with a silver sheen, bounced about her shoulders. She grinned when she saw the newcomers. "Finno! Nelyo and Káno are here! Shall I send them away. Surely you do not want to see them?"

Eve felt her eyes widen at the well crafted speech this young child managed. She still faltered slightly, but seemed much more mature than someone of her age should've.

"You will do not such thing, Artanis," Findekáno ordered as he sped into the room, arms full with another girl in his arms. This one's hair was dark, nearly black, and she had a smile on her face. "I invited them, you know that." He paused, panting, when he noticed who else stood with them. "Oh, Eve, my apologies. Welcome to the palace!"

She hid a laugh behind her hand as Findekáno put the dark haired girl down and straightened his shirt. The girl grabbed Artanis' hand and they stood looking at the young woman.

"These are Artanis and Iríssë. My cousin and sister." He gestured to each in turn.

Iríssë looked at her critically. "Who are you?"

"This is Eve," Káno told the girl, dropping into a crouch to hug them both.

"Eve is a strange name," Artanis replied with a frown.