COPING MECHANISM

Life with Cade and his family had been awesome. Having people care for her, love her like they've known her their whole lives.

"Aunt Mes," Lilah popped her blond head into the room. "Yes, sweetie," Mes smiled at the sheepish smile on the little girl's face.

"Leyla and I were wondering if we could borrow some of your make up." Mes cocked her brow at the request.

"What for?" She asked, beckoning the girl into the room. Cade had pack business to take care of, so it was just her and his nieces.

"Well, we are going to the pack house to hang out with our friends there and Leyla has a crush on Brad and she wants to impress him. But it will look suspicious if only she were to be wearing the make up."

Mes nodded her head in understanding. These eight year olds were so cute. "Let me tell you what, how about you bring Leyla with you and I do both your make ups." Mes suggested to which the girl beamed at her.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," the girl squealed happily and rushed out of the room to get her twin sister.

Lilah returned with Leyla in tow. With a bright smile, Mes gestured them to the vanity table, where she had already set up.

👭👭👭

"So, how was your day?" Cade wrapped his arms around her from behind and nipped her ear.

Mes drew in a sharp breath and pushed him away. "I had fun with the girls. But besides that, I was bored out of my mind. I thought we agreed I can work at the company."

Cade grunted and walked out of the closet, his shirt half off. "I'll let you know when you can go." He argued and shrugged off the shirt and returned to the closet.

"But Nix has called me like twenty times today. My girl needs me. And I need to work else I'll go insane."

"Why, didn't you spend time with my parents?" Cade returned in just pyjama bottoms. "They took the girls to the pack house and Cait and Marcus went out to spend special time together. So I was all alone in this castle with nothing to do but think about whether to chew my nails or not." Mes sighed and pouted. It had always worked on her father and she prayed it didn't fail her now.

Cade fell for the puppy dog expression and sighed. "Fine. I'm off to a meeting tomorrow. You can come along."

"I'm your assistant, how come I don't know about this meeting?"

"Oh, Victoria set it up," Cade spoke up before he realised his slip up. "You already found my replacement?" Mes seethed.

"No, no, babe, it's not like that. She's just filling in while you take a well needed break." He backed up at her stalking figure.

"If you don't want me arrested, then I advise that you call her and tell her to disappear from my office before I get to work tomorrow." Mes glared at him. If eyes could shoot laser beams, Cade would have fried in less than a second.

"Please calm down. I swear, I'll do as you say. I'm sorry," he carefully smiled. He was walking on thin ice. This woman had so much control over him and she had no idea.

She glared at him some more then sighed. "Fine, let's go to bed. Have to wake up fresh and ready for work tomorrow." She beamed and got under the covers.

*****

Mercedes stopped in her tracks as she neared her desk. There were papers scattered all around and empty coffee cups sitting on her desk.

"Oh, hello Mes," she head the voice behind her. It was Victoria. "What is this?" Mes gestured to the mess in her office. "And what are you doing here?" She cocked a hip. "I work here," Victoria replied in a duh tone with a smug smile.

Victoria was one of those girls who slept their way up...well, everything. And Mes knew the little witch had the hots for her man. "Get your stuff and leave," Mes hissed. "This is my office now, Mercedes." She spat out the name. "Guess the hot boss got tired of you so quickly and moved on to something way way better." Victoria fake pouted and teased.

Mes' wolf reared her head. 'What the fuck are you waiting for? Cut the bitch!' Her wolf urged her but she held back. "I will only say it one more time Victoria, get your stuff and leave."

Victoria laughed and shook her head. "Poor Mercedes." Victoria rounded her and went to sit in the chair, taunting her. Slowly, Mes stalked over to the smug looking Victoria then without a warning, fisted her hair and yanked her off the chair.

Victoria screeched, clawing at Mercedes' hand. Cade walked out of his office just as Mes tossed Victoria out. "You little bitch!" Victoria spun to attack Mes when she caught side of Cade.

Suddenly, she 'burst into tears'. "Sir, I don't know what I did to her. She just walked into my office and attacked me," she hiccupped, nearing Cade to seek comfort.

"I thought I told you to vacate the office before I arrived this morning." His voice was calm. He wasn't buying her bullshit. "Sir, I-" she started, trying to find an excuse. "If you want to keep your job here, you'll pack your stuff and get back to your cubicle." He stared at her and she cowered beneath his scrutiny. "Yes Sir," she mumbled and shot Mes the stink eye.

"Who's the poor one now?" Mes snickered as Victoria pushed past her to gather her things. "We all know you're screwing the boss," Victoria bit back. "So?" Mes taunted and Victoria scowled and cleaned the office of her paper and coffee cups.

Just as she walked out, Mes pulled out a can of Glade from her drawer and sprayed around the room to get his of the 'ho stink'.

She wiped her chair and desk with sanitizer and sat down, relaxing. "I like how you pulled her by her hair," Cade walked into her office, smirking. "I like it when you're feisty. Makes me want to tame you." He chuckled when she tensed and her cheeks blazed.

"Come here," he beckoned. Slowly, she got up and walked to him. He pulled her to him abruptly and kissed her. She gasped at the impact and he used that opportunity to slip his tongue into her mouth and tasted her.

"Get to work," he pulled away and said then he left her stunned.

****

"I snatched her by her hair and threw her out of my-" Mes stopped when she noticed that Nixie wasn't listening and was trapped in her own world in her head. "Earth to Nixie," she snapped her fingers in her friend's face and Nix snapped out of it.

"Vern?" Mes skilled knowingly and Nix flashed red. "He's just so sweet. And mmm, sexy." she groaned. Mes laughed. "He gets me so on edge." Nixie groaned.

"You know he said he wants to marry me before we have sex. He says I deserve to be treated specially. That I'm not just any girl so he'll take his time with me." Mes cooed.

"It's driving me insane!" Nix dropped her fork into her untouched salad. "I want to jump his bones every minute and he wants to wait till we're married," she huffed. "If you don't want to wait then tell him," Mes shrugged. "I would but my brain stops functioning each time I'm in his presence."

They finished their food and headed back to work.

*********

So, please don't kill me yet. I know its been a long while but I've been super busy.... I still am though, but I've taken the time to update so yay!

I k ow it's short but I've been having writer's block for a while now so...yeah....

Anyway, vote, comment, share😘😘