SAFE HAVEN

She needed to get away. That was all that was on her mind. She needed to get away.

Mes stumbled and nearly introduced her face to the stony ground.

She had ran. She had seen him. Her father. As Cade tore into the rogue wolf. In that instant, the rogue wolf had been her father and Cade had ripped into him mercilessly. The moment caused her pace to quicken.

She needed to get away.

She cocked her ears when a sound reached her. Cars. With a new found vigour,  she matched in the direction of what she believed was a highway.

She was correct. She took a deep breath as she reached the end of the road and held up her hand for a lift. Many cars passed the crazy looking girl by the roadside. A few minutes later, a black car pulled up.

The window rolled down to reveal a young woman about her age. "Hey,  where you going?" the lady chirped,  not seeming to mind Mes' crazed look. "I don't know," her mouth quivered as fresh tears streamed down her face.

The lady stepped out of the car and took her hand. "It's okay. Whatever it is,  it's over now." Mes calmed. "Now I need you to tell me where it is you're headed." the lady said slowly. "I, I don't know but I need to get away. Can you take me with you? To anywhere. Please." she rushed out.

"What are you running from?" the lady frowned slightly.

"Please. He'll come in search of me. Take me with you." Mes begged. "Who?" the lady asked. "He, he. Please." she burst into tears again.

"Okay, okay. Get in." she helped Mes into the car and got in. "I'm Jenna, by the way." she spoke into the silence. "Mercedes." Mes answered after a minute. Along the way, she fell asleep.

Mes woke up in a strange bed. She looked around as bits and pieces of her memory returned. Jenna.

Slowly, she got out of bed and walked out of the room. She followed the aroma of delicious food into a big kitchen. Jenna was stirring something on the stove and humming to herself.

"Jenna."

"Oh you're awake." Jenna beamed at her. "Go take a shower and come eat lunch."

Lunch?

Had she really been asleep for that long?

She turned to head back to the room but then stopped and turned to Jenna. "How did you get me out of the car?" Jenna chuckled. "It wasn't a walk in a park, let me tell you."

Mes smiled because the woman's smile was contagious and continued to the room to go take a shower.

Back in the room,  she stripped out of her clothes and entered the adjoining bathroom. She adjusted the temperature of the water and stepped in. She calmed as the warm sprays of water beat down on her.

She remembered what she was running from.  Cade.

He had killed him. He had killed him.

She choked on a sob, hugging herself. Biting her lip to hold back the sobs,  she assured herself, you're safe.

After ten more minutes, she got out of the shower and grabbed a fluffy white towel from the cabinet above the mirror. She wrapped it around herself and walked out.

He clothes were not there. Instead, fresh clothes had been laid out for her. When had Jenna come into the room and she did not hear her?

Slowly, she dressed in the pale blue maxi dress and pushed her feet into a pair of Birkenstock slip-ons.

She made her way back to the kitchen and Jenna gestured for her to sit. Soon, a bowl of hot chilli was in front of her.  Jenna dished hers and sat next to her.

"So, Mercedes, if you don't mind me asking, why are you running?" Jenna asked as they ate. "My ma-" she broke off before she gave up the secret. "My boyfriend."

"Your mate." Jenna was unfazed. "You know about-?" Mes asked and Jenna gave her a half smile. "How?" Mes was curious now. "I have one." Jenna shrugged and bowed into her bowl. "Where is he?" Mes quirked. "I don't know. I left. I was scared shitless."

Mes nodded and returned to her food. "You're one of them?" Jenna asked when they were done eating and Mes gave a small nod.

****
Cade sped up as the car behind them neared. He knew they were being followed. He had known since the left the workplace. But he didn't want to scare his mate.

Mes watched the trees zap by, not realising the situation. Suddenly, her wolf kicked.

'What is it?' She frowned

'Mate.'

"Cade, what's wrong?" She panicked when she saw his whitened knuckles on the steering wheel. "Nothing," he forced a smile. "I know you're lying."

He gritted his teeth, contemplating whether to let her know they were being followed. "Tell me." She almost yelled. He jerked his head to the back and she immediately caught on. The car behind them had been there since they left the office.

He was steering them towards his territory where they could easily be taken down.

"They're following us," she breathed. "It's things like this that made me not want you to keep working." She rolled her eyes at him. "I'm sure I can take care of myself. My dad was a park warrior," she rolled her eyes and huffed.

"That's not enough! From tomorrow, you'll be assigned body guards."

"What? No!"

"Don't argue with me. Please."

Before she could argue, their car jerked forward from the impact of the car behind them, slamming into them.

The car spun a few times and came to a stop. In a rage Mes had never seen before, Cade burst out of the car, already mid shift. He let out a growl that could have the whole world cowering.

Mes subtly, snuck out of the car. Luck wasn't on her side when one of the goons from the car that hit them, noticed her. He instantly made to tackle her but Cade had him by the throat before he was even a foot away from her.

A sickening crack was heard as He snapped his neck and dropped him with a thud.

Immediately, the others shifted and readied themselves to attack. Cade shifted into his beautiful midnight black wolf, towering over the others.

The leader of the rogue wolves, snarled at Cade and lunged at him. Cade side stepped him and attacked. He made sure to them a safe distance away from his mate.

One by one they dropped. He was killing faster than a machine gun.

Mes, clutched her chest and watched the blood splatter and paint the streets. It was all too familiar. She had the feeling if déjà vu. She forced back the bile rising in her throat and crouched down next to the car when one almost got close. It was like she had lost all feeling in her body. She couldn't move nor make a sound.

Suddenly, the many growls had reduced to just two. She peeped to make sure it was safe. And that when she saw it.

Cade bit into the neck of the smaller wolf, ripping out his throat. But at that moment, to her it wasn't Cade. It was the rogue that had killed her father.

She found her voice and screamed as tears blurred her sight.

She was shaken awake by small delicate hands.

Mes flew into a sitting position, making out Jenna's frame in the moonlight. "Its okay. You're safe here," Jenna whispered soothingly, hugging her sweaty, shaking body. Mes broke down and cried.

★★★★★★★

Hi...hehehe
Don't clobber me yet people.
I...just...writer's block is a bitch
I'm trying to get over it. Pray that I do so I bring more to you, my lovely and patient friends (insert dazzling smile).

Xoxo
You know you love me,
Lyza.

P.s, will edit later.