CHAPTER NINE

She was in her consulting room at Gareth and Jesse Clarke's practice when the phone rang. "Dr.Wilson-Morley."

"Hi, it's James. I just got your test results."

"And?"

James kept silent for a while. "Is everything alright. There is nothing serious is there?"

"It depends what you regard as serious."

She became edgy. "Okay James, now you're making me worried. What's up?"

"Well, according to your test results you are expecting my dear."

"I am what?"

"You might need to book a good hospital 9 months in advance."

"I'm pregnant?"

"Well, yes. Tell Gareth he'll be a daddy soon and tell him I say congratulations and...Congratulations Cheri."

"Thank you for informing me James. Goodbye."

She sat there for a moment until reality struck her. Then she got up and rushed to Gareth's consulting room. "Honey, are you busy?"

"No, sit down." She gave one of her secretive smiles again and didn't say a word. Gareth smiled back. "Okay, you're hiding something. And it looks like it might be good news."

"Well from now on I am calling you daddy."

Gareth frowned. "Wait...Are you?" She smiled and nodded. "Cheri...I am so happy! Our first baby. How far?"

"About three weeks."

Gareth stood up and embraced her.

"James has the test results. He just phoned me a couple of minutes ago."

"Are you hungry?"

"Yes."

"Take the Beetle and get us two hamburgers and fries." He gave her the keys and kissed her on the cheek. "Drive carefully."

Gareth had another patient for the morning. "MissPeterson." She followed him to his office. "So what can I do for you?"

"I think I have a spasm in my neck."

"Okay. Can you do this and this?" He demonstrated.

"To the left but not to the right."

"You haven't had any neck injuries have you?"

"No..."

He was busy examining her when his phone interrupted. "Dr.Morley..." His face dropped. "Where? When?" At which hospital?...Okay. I'm just going to finish with a patient then I'm on my way." He stood up feeling dizzy. "Miss Peterson...I'm sorry. My wife's just been in an accident. And this morning I got the news that she's three weeks pregnant. I'll give you a prescription at the pharmacist. Call me if things aren't better two days from now."

"Okay."

Gareth borrowed Jesse's Mercedes and pushed it to its limits. At the hospital he dashed to reception.

"Yes doctor?"

"My wife, Cheri Morley. They brought her in."

"Oh, yes. She's in the theater."

"Thank you? Was it that bad? Who's the doctor?"

"In O.R.?...Dr.Julian Slattery."

"Oh, yes. I know him. Thanks." He rushed to the theater when Julian left to take a breath.

"Gareth?"

"Julian...How is she?" He tried to swallow the knob in his throat.

"She miscarried. We're trying to do the best we can for her now."

Gareth felt like he could collapse at that instant. He sat down, bowed his head and took a deep breath.

"Gareth..." He had no idea how Jesse managed to get there.

"Dr. Clarke." He could see Gareth was very closed to tears. "She lost the baby."

"I am so sorry. When did you hear she was pregnant?"

"This morning. Then I sent her to get us something to eat just before I saw my last patient. I shouldn't have let her go. Oh God, please let her live."

Jesse was exceedingly worried himself. "Gareth...She'll be alright. She's a fighter. There's a lot you don't know about that girl."

"I hope you're right."

Just then Julian came out of O.R. Gareth shot up a silent prayer again as he approached. "How...How is she?"

"She pulled through."

"Thank God." He embraced Julian. "Thank you Julian. Thank you for saving her life."

Julian smiled and gave Gareth a pat on the shoulder. "Hey, that girl is a piece of gold. I couldn't let her die."

He stood by Cheri's bedside holding her hand. She slowly came by. "Gareth..."

"Cheri...I'm here baby." He laughed and tears of joy welled up in his eyes as he kissed her hand."I love you baby."

She looked at him. "Hey."

"I thought there for a moment you weren't going to make it. And I prayed to God to let you live."

"I've lost our baby."

"I know. But it would have been so much worst if I had to lose both of you. I'm just glad I still have you."

She smiled. "I love you Gareth."

He stroked her hair. "Get some rest. I'll be here if you need me."

The nurse came to change Cheri's iv. "Hello Dr.Morley."

"Hello Tracey."

"Oh...she'll be fine."

Gareth went outside for a while and met with Jesse. "It should have been me. Not her."

"Gareth. She was there for you when you almost lost your life. She's stronger than you think. I raised that girl like she was my own daughter. Do you have any idea what kind of parents she had? How I had to get child welfare to get her out of there. Her mother was a prostitute. What kind of parent takes a 6-year-old child along on her business trips. Her father killed himself when she was still a baby. And look where she is today."

"I wasn't aware of that. Besides her career, you are the one good thing she has in her life. Don't take that away from her."

Gareth pinched a tear. "I'll never do anything to hurt her."

Jolene met Gareth after work over a cup of coffee at the private hospital where Cheri was hospitalized. She gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Hi..."

He gave a faint smile. "How's everything with you and James?"

"We broke up."

"You broke up? I'm sorry to hear that."

"And Cheri?" She noticed by the expression on his face that something was wrong. "What?"

"She's been in an accident. We lost our baby."

"Oh no Gareth...I'm so sorry. When?" She took the news as a complete shock. "A couple of weeks ago."

"Gareth..."

"She survived."

"Thank goodness for that." She took a sip of coffee. "It's funny. I've always admired you when you were at the state hospital. I've always considered you as a fighter after the ordeal you had. And when Brendan died Cheri was caught between you and James and I had to play judge and help her choose." Gareth smiled. "James had a keen eye on her but when you snatched her up he came onto me."

"He's a good guy."

"Yeah...He's wonderful. But it didn't work out."

He took her hand in his. "You'll meet Mr. Right in no time."