Chapter 17

Seventeen

The three-sided triangular castle, though was not largest that Brandon had seen, left the eye mesmerised. It was made of sandstone and located n the Tumblestone River and the Red Fork of the Trident River. It's simple beauty left even Lyanna speechless. The sluice gates were lowered to the waiting party on the other side of the river, a horn was blown and Brandon led them into the castle gates.

"This is your home?" Lyanna gawked, turning to look at Catelyn and Lysa.

Catelyn nodded back smiling to Lyanna, wanting to be tender with the girl. After all, she wouldn't know what state she would be in if her own sister had disappeared after the bloodbath that had ensued at the Tourney. Lysa, however, scoffed to Lyanna and rolled her eyes.

"You are marrying a poor Lord, sister," she whispered. Though from Lyanna's glare, it was obvious she had been heard. Catelyn pinched her sister's thigh, indicating for her to be quiet.

"We have company Lysa, don't be rude," she whispered back. Lysa once more rolled her eyes.

It was true though, Catelyn had offered for Lyanna and Arianne, had she been found, to ride in their carriage. It would allow them to travel faster and cause less commotion when they were leaving. They had taken the Stark's carriage, which was dripping in rugs and pelts of all sorts, with little to no decoration. Instead of Arianne though, Lady Bolton, the quiet wife of Roose Bolton, had joined them. The girl spent all her time diverting her eyes from whoever was speaking rather than speaking herself. A tedious creature that Catelyn would make sure would join her husband in the tents outside of the castle.

Catelyn looked out of the foggy window, they had come to a halt. She was glad, she didn't know how much longer her breasts could take the rickety floor of the gates that separated Riverrun from the rest of the Riverlands. There was a sharp tap on the back of the carriage and the door swung open.

Her father, Lord Hoster Tully, stood waiting for his daughters. "Thank the gods!" He cried out, pulling Catelyn from her seat into his arms.

"Father, we're alright," Catelyn reassured as he put her down and gave Lysa a hug as well.

"When Brynden wrote to me, he made it seem as if you had been killed."

"They weren't targetted," Brandon pointed out from behind her father.

Hoster nodded in agreement. He looked to Lyanna, sending her a small smile. "Just as beautiful as your mother was."

Liar. Lyanna thought, internally shaking her head at the sweet lord. She clambered out of the carriage in front of Roose Bolton's wife and curtseyed to Hoster. "My Lord, thank you for your exceptional kindness."

"Well I couldn't leave my son-in-law to be rotting under the sun, could I? Your father would have my head," he smiled once more, grasping Lyanna's hands. "We will find your sister. As your brother said, it was a targetted attack. She's probably with another family, safe and sound." Lyanna didn't know how to respond to the Lord without bursting into tears, she merely nodded her head. Hoster seemed to understand and mentioned for the handmaidens that stood behind him to lead Lyanna and Lady Bolton to their rooms.

Once they had disappeared into the castle, Catelyn looked to her father. "Lady Bolton is to stay with her husband, outside."

"Is she not her companion?" Hoster responded, frowning at his daughter.

"No. Outside." And with that, Catelyn had strode off to retire to her own room, Lysa following closely behind her.

Brandon, though wanted to laugh, could not bring himself to enjoy even the small exchange with Catelyn and Hoster. It reminded him too much of Arianne and his own father and their endless arguments which usually ended in his father's defeat and Arianne walking away just as Catelyn had done so.