Chapter 40

Welcome

Kingslanding

Arianne watched below her as the city that never slept, and its people went about their day. The Keep and its surrounding areas were being prepared for wedding celebrations, with flowers; that Rhaella had helped her pick out, and candles being placed any and everywhere. Tables were being set up as well in front of the Keep as Arianne insisted the food that was not served to guests be served to common people. Something that took much convincing from Rhaella. They finally agreed that if they were not to mingle with noblemen there would be no issue, so Arianne agreed to have tables set out for them at the gates of the Keep.

She was currently stood over the balcony, apple in hand, mesmerised by how well the people below her knew the roads of the city. They all had their own lives, worries, trials ... she couldn't fathom being ruled by Aerys with little to no money and wondered how unstable the city truly was. And she was also on the lookout for her families – the Stark's – arrival for the wedding which was to be held in a few days. Rhaegar had told her that their party had been spotted a few hours away during breakfast and she had been restless since.

"It's beautiful."

She knew that voice all too well and turned around in a flash, moving to hug Nymella as she neared her. "Hello, you," Arianne smiled following Nymella's gaze to the wedding dress that was spread over a chair.

"Do you think so?"

Nymella nodded, moving her kinky hair from her face in frustration. "It's so hot today!" She moved to the chair and picked the dress up, "was it worth the wait?"

"Absolutely," Arianne ran her hands through the fabric, it was soft and felt like water. There were beads of pearls going up the bodice of the dress, with a golden belt to give the ivory coloured dress colour. During the jewellery presentations, Ashara had gone out of her way to lend Arianne her mother's clasp, Rhaella had gifted a new necklace fashioned in true Targaryen colours and other pieces Arianne knew she wouldn't have the chance to wear.

"Well, I was saving it for my wedding, but that won't be for a while," Ashara sighed, clipping the bracelet onto Arianne's wrist.

Arianne subtly gazed at Ashara's stomach; she was very much so pregnant but refused to tell anyone who the father was. Saying the father already had enough on his plate, a child wouldn't be suitable. "Thank you Ashara, you don't have to."

Ashara shook her head, "it was collecting dust anyway. I want one piece of Dayne to be with you on your wedding day."

Arianne wasn't sure how to tell her that the King was mad, and they weren't sisters, she firmly believed the story Rhaella had told Rhaegar, there was no possible way she could be Aerys and Serena's daughter. It was impossible. But she accepted the gift, thanking Ashara. Both of them had spent much more time with each other the past moon and preparing for a wedding was the best way to do so. From the colour of the candles in the Sept, to seating arrangements, Arianne was happiest with Rhaella, Nymella and Ashara planning her wedding.

"Well ... I came here for one thing and one thing only. I want to know everything about last night. Before your family comes please tell me, I know you won't have time for me then," Nymella pestered closing the balcony doors and sitting down on Arianne's bed.

She shrugged back at her excitable friend – the pair had grown closer now that Alyse had been excused from her rank as a companion. It left Penelope and Nymella as her handmaiden's and Alyse to return to doing whatever it was she did before her arrival ... not that Arianne cared of course. "We just ... talked?"