Chapter 30

Thirty

Rhaegar awoke from his slumber, he had been fading in and out of sleep all night, a million thoughts racing through his mind. As of late, his choice of words had continually left those around him angry, even the squires that helped him dress in the morning noticed, asking him why he had been so silent lately. He merely smiled grimly at them and shrugged, blaming the heat and stress of court. In truth, Aerys had opted out of inviting his son to high council meetings, even though he was the Prince of Dragonstone and had the right position to be there, Rhaegar chose against it.

I'll fix it all myself once I become King. He'd think to himself, though knew deep down he felt snubbed and rejected by his father. What I would give to have Twyin Lannister back here, and myself back in Dragonstone. Looking outside of the large glass window he sighed, watching the oblivious courteous talking their morning walks and lounging around the main gardens.

Rhaegar had spent most nights since arguing with Arianne in his children's nursery, opting to sleep on the rocking chair that a wet nurse would sleep in. Instead, he insisted that he would sleep there, he had Kingsguard around him anyways, there wasn't anything he couldn't do that a wet nurse couldn't. That was until Aegon began to scream in the middle of the night and Elia had to call for a nurse. He had forgotten their rooms were adjoining. They shared one look and continued on their routine, Elia returning to her room and Rhaegar sitting back down on his chair.

Tapping his foot impatiently he thought through his itinerary for the day. He found that as days went by he grew more and more impatient. Rhaegar had rarely anytime alone, usually accompanied by courtiers, his mother, wife or Kingsguard. Rarely anytime with his bride to be, other than their occasional meals which had ceased in the previous days. Now that he was alone, he couldn't help think about his predicament. Arianne was right, they really only needed one child to finish the equation. But something within him was telling him that their children would be ... better suited for the roles he had for them. In all honesty, he did not care for the Iron Throne, using that as an excuse to get his point across. He knew something bigger than a crown and seat was coming for them. How could he tell that to Arianne? Better yet anybody? Rhaegar sighed and walked to the balcony, wanting to watch the city he now called home hustle and bustle.

Shouts from the market, children laughing, chatter and horses. He didn't recognize any of them, but they recognized him, what an odd feeling that was. Though, walking through the city walls, two riders. One, small in size, wore a large cape that seemed to have been through it all, the other soldier, wearing the Tully colours and with a large fish embroidered on his cape. Why would the Tully's be here? Rhaegar thought to himself.

"Your grace, the King has called a small council meeting and has called for you," Ser Barristan panted. He must've been searching for him for a while. Rhaegar spread his hands on the stone railings.

"No," he said, not bothering to turn around. "I have my own small council meeting to get to."

Barristan stood still for a moment, unsure of how to reply. "The King has called, your grace."

"And I the Prince of Dragonstone say the King can wait, I'm busy," Rhaegar snapped back, still not turning.

Barristan silently groaned behind him. "Varys has been telling him things about you sire. You're bringing in men from places. Having secret meetings. Inviting Lords against him."

"Varys is a spineless, dickless spy who has been out for me since I married Elia. He'll be the first to go-," Rhaegar stopped himself and turned to Barristan as if to say not a word.