Chapter 22

Twenty - Two

The sun was setting, and Arianne could not help but admire the view of the sun as it was not obscured by clouds or grey skies. She had seen its glory travelling from Winterfell to Harrenhal and then at Harrenhal when it wanted to be seen but never so close and so bright during sun set. Her window offered her a perfect view of the city below, though she had to admit she was envious of those who held rooms with verandas.

It seemed the return of the King spurred the city to celebrate. Though Nymella had whispered to her that it was more the Prince they celebrated for. She couldn't see exactly what was happening, but she got the idea of it.

"A city that never sleeps will one day weep," Alyse said. It was the first time that Arianne had heard her speak.

She turned to the girl who had been folding her clothes for some time now and frowned. "That's a cynical way to look at it."

Alyse shrugged, "if you are amazed by this stink hole, you should see Dorne."

"I'm sure I will one day. I hear it has flowers of all kinds."

"Flowers, wine, gold, men, we have all kinds of everything," Nymella scoffed, smiling to herself.

Penelope rolled her eyes, "you would know."

"There's nothing shameful in being proud of where you came from Penelope," Nymella said rolling her eyes.

Penelope rolled her eyes once more, put down the dress she was holding and ushered Alyse up. "We'll go and make sure the maids have your bath ready." She disappeared behind a door that Arianne didn't even know was in the room.

"Your private tea room for your private guests. It also has a bathing room inside of it," Nymella said before Arianne could ask any questions.

"It seems a little extravagant," Arianne said pursing her lips.

Nymella let out a snort. "This is the room reserved for special guests of the royal family. Wait until you see the room that Rhaegar has." Arianne looked at her lap feeling her face heat up. At the sight of her discomfort, Nymella reassured her.

"Nothing has happened. I am merely their guest until my father comes to take me home.," Arianne honestly responded.

Nymella sighed and sat down next to Arianne on the plush bed. Though they were similar in age, she felt she had more knowledge in the subject of love. "If you let him, Rhaegar will love you with all his heart."

"When he arrived, he said something that I did not quite understand nor like...he said that if I am to make decisions I am to ask him first."

Nymella shook her head. "You must understand, my lady. He has been educated to be the next King, gods be good, of Westeros. Though I'm sure it different in the North as it is in Dorne, future queens and brides to the Prince are usually seen as the property of the crown. Technically it isn't right you ask his permission before doing anything drastic as you aren't even courting yet but... I know it's not the most...enjoyable nor liberating thing to have to live with, but it's the way."

Arianne huffed, "it won't be the way if I have anything to say about it."

Nymella smiled, "I don't doubt it." She stood up and continued her task of delicately placing Arianne's minimal jewellery into the drawers of the vanity. "I knew you know," she piped.

"Knew what?" Arianne asked.

Nymella smirked and bit her bottom lip. "That you were Rhaegar's betrothed."