Chapter 66

Triangle

Northern Party

She awoke to the sounds of chattering, metal falling onto metal and birds singing around the forest trees. Arianne could not help but remember Winterfell, with the banners around her reminding her of the home that once was.

She sat up, groaning in discomfort. The wooden cage she was put in was big enough for her to sit up in, and outstretch her legs, only in the slightest. Beside her sat an untouched tray of cold broth, water and dry bread. Arianne pushed that away, crossing her legs. It was not lost on her that many of those who passed by her had been watching, even those who were sitting down were watching. She wasn't sure what exactly, she wasn't that interesting.

Her eyes locked with Ethan Glover, the son of a bannerman, the red-haired boy averted his eyes. She huffed, there was no one she recognised enough to plead for her release. The tent in front of her rustled, and Brandon stepped out, gazing down at Arianne. He didn't say anything and simply went about his day. After a few moments a girl left the tent, tightening the belt on her dress.

"Olivia?" Arianne called out in shock. What were the chances that the woman who had been her maid at Harrenhal was now ... well she was ... Brandon's bed warmer?

The girl's head snapped towards Arianne and her eyes widened, the colour from her face draining. Olivia looked like she had seen a ghost. She had heard Brandon's voice the day before, proclaiming of having the Queen in a cage, but she had chosen to stay in the tent and refused to believe it. She went by the name Hilly now, and the fact that Arianne had remembered her name flattered Oliva.

Olivia brushed her skirts down, sent an apologetic look towards Arianne, and followed after Brandon like a lost puppy. Arianne sighed, taking the stale bread and biting into it. It was rock hard, so she placed it back onto the tray and placed her hand on her stomach.

Sorry Baelor, she thought to herself, worried for her unborn son more than anything. Brandon wouldn't be as cruel as he was letting out to be, would he?

After an entire day of watching the Northerner's go about their day, Arianne grew thirsty, and reached for the cup of water. It tasted odd, but she drank it still, not realising how thirsty she had become.

"Is our food not good enough for you, your grace?" It was Lyanna's voice. Arianne looked up at the girl towering over the cage.

Arianne put her cup down, "it was stale."

"Right, unlike the freshly cooked ones in the Keep," she sat down next to Arianne, realising how badly her joke had come out. The only thing that separated them now was the wooden cage. Arianne was unsure of how Lyanna wanted her to respond, so she merely blinked at her. Lyanna sighed, "Brandon wishes to kill Rhaegar, and plans to do so very soon."

"He'd never get close enough," Arianne scoffed, knowing full well those loyal to Rhaegar would never let him die without a fight.

Lyanna's grey eyes looked in Arianne's, as if to say don't speak too soon. "He means to draw him out, alone. A bargain. Come and collect you, then he will offer a trial by combat, one on one."

"So, end it now and let me out!" Arianne whispered, wrapping her hand around the wooden cage and pleading to Lyanna.

"I can't," Lyanna responded, her eyes welling up. She swallowed the lump that had grown on her throat. "He's coming, Rhaegar. With his party, I'm sure you know who your men are."

"What am I supposed to do with this information Lyanna!?" Arianne blurted, angered that the girl who had once been her sister, was now her close cousin by marriage, was taunting her. Was she to write a raven to Rhaegar and send it to him? Was she to visit him in his dreams?