Chapter 16

Sixteen

Dinner was a loud affair, and Brandon could not help but notice that his youngest sister had not joined them. The royal families seat was also vacant, with only the King, Rhaegar and Oberyn present, all of whom ate in silence. Brandon wondered what it must have been like for the young Prince, to be followed around by the shame of having a delirious father who was probably responsible for the deaths of many at court. He turned to his sister, who had been talking or yelling to Robert. "Where you at the hearing?"

Lyanna frowned at her older brother. "Hearing? Of what?"

"Arianne's maid told her there was to be a hearing. Merida Whent had accused her of something."

"Merida Whent was with Lysa right after the joust; I saw them talking to Lannister guards. Maybe she got the names mixed up; I wouldn't be able to keep up with this many lords and ladies."

Brandon felt his heart sink. "No. It wasn't an accident. Get up." He ordered, lifting her by her right arm. He mentioned for Ned, who had been consumed in a conversation with Howland to stand as well.

"I was enjoying my dinner," Lyanna whined glaring at Brandon.

"Outside now," he said pointing to the door. But as he had done so, the had been pulled closed by one of the Whent guards and shut, the musicians seemed to follow their cue ending the song that they had been playing. Brandon turned his head to the high table, wondering what their actions meant. A handful had noticed the change in atmosphere, with the Prince himself standing from his seat to question the Kingsguard that stood behind him.

"What's happening?" Ned asked, pointing to the doors.

Brandon shrugged his shoulders and mentioned for them to sit down, Lord Whent had risen his hand to speak. "It seems every night these feasts grow emptier and emptier. I just wanted to thank my King, for journeying such a long way and honouring me with his presence. I would thank the Queen but well we can't have everything. I want to thank you the lords and ladies of Westeros for joining us on this joyous occasion, we are glad to announce that Lord Walder Frey has proposed a joining between our houses with his son, Oliver and my daughter Merida."

His announcement was followed by a cry of hear hear mostly from the Frey family.

Robert scoffed loudly, trying to whisper to Lyanna; "Waste of gold. Poor lord, all this to have a Frey marry into your family." Brandon shook his head, to have a Baratheon marry into your family. He thought, damning his father for choosing Lyanna to be with such a man. Though she seemed to like him enough, Brandon knew that two hotheaded creatures such as them would end up hating each other sooner or later.

It seemed he was too distracted by his own thoughts, for Lord Whent was still giving thanks to anyone and everyone, the speech lasting too long for Brandon's liking. His attention mostly to his missing sister and her lying maid. He did not zone out, however, when a spring was heard and a feathered arrow flew past his ear, to the high table and hitting the King's shoulder. He gave out a cry of pain as the room grew silent, the silence lasted for a mere second and screams and cries of outrage followed. The archer, seemed to be unlocatable for another arrow flew towards the King, this time it bounced off of Ser Barristan's armour. Brandon, not caring about what was happening around him turned to his sister who had a look of horror etched on her face. He took her head, and pushed it down, her body following and disappearing underneath their table. Catelyn was the first to run to his side, almost as if it were extinct, clutching his arm tightly as she sobbed silently.

"Down, under the table," he told her and she did as he had instructed. Brandon looked left and right on his table, it seemed that the others had instructed their sisters and wives to do the same for only the men were left standing. He could not help, in that moment of terror, to smile to himself.

Reality struck him and with no sword nor chainmail, Brandon felt his heart thump in his chest violently, almost as if it wanted to leave and never turn back. In the corner of his eye, he saw a rain of arrows fly by and hit the table which the Dornish had occupied, bringing down many men. He turned to see from where they had come from, the musicians stand. Others had already caught onto it though, Jaime Lannister, the fickle boy, pulled a musician who held a crossbow in his hand from the stand and put a dagger to his throat, Brandon turned his head refusing to witness what came after. He blinked once and it all seemed to be over, with four musicians laying in a pool of blood, a man, unidentifiable to Brandon, laying a few feet from them; he guessed he was the first to fire; and many others who had been caught in the crossfire on the floor.

Lord Whent too sat crouched on the floor, underneath Oberyn Martell, who held a slicing knife that was dripping with blood in his hand. His table seemed to be unaffected, only baffled by what had just occurred, as had he. Behind him, Robert stood swearing loudly, underneath the tables sat many young women, and some men. The seat that the King had sat on was unoccupied, and beside it, Rhaegar stood arrow in hand, his expression neutral, he nodded to Oberyn and they were led out of the dining hall through the servants' door. He scanned his table once more, no one seemed to be hurt. A targeted attack, he thought to himself.

"Right, it's time to fuck off home now," Lyanna whispered, she had emerged from underneath the table and clutched her brothers hand tightly, her other hand was crippled by Catelyn's hand. Movement in the room returned, with many stepping over the dead Whent guards, which Brandon guessed was thanks to Ser Gerald Hightower who had stood at the rear end of the room and was wiping his hands clean of blood. The doors were opened and the cool night air flowed back into the heavy room. The air compensating for the overwhelming smell of fresh blood and sweat that had filled the room rather quickly. "Go to your room; tell one of our men to take you there, lock the door and open it for nobody. Not even your maids. We leave for Riverrun tomorrow."

"What about Arianne?" Lyanna asked.

"I'll look for her." He responded. "You worry about yourself." She needed no other orders, leaving for the door and grabbing a hold of the first Stark guard she saw standing at the table. Brandon turned to Catelyn, running his hands down her arms quickly. "Where is your sister?"

"She was feeling ill-,"

Brandon felt himself let out a crude swear, bit to his hand as he did. The Whent's hadn't bothered to show up either. When his father had told him that the South was a bottomless pit of snakes many years before, Brandon had not taken it literally. "Howland will take you to your room. Tell the Blackfish that Brandon Stark said it was time to leave." She nodded her head quickly and Brandon called out to Howland. "Open the door for no one." He repeated. Turning back to the table, who were all seated now, Brandon nodded his head. "Get ready to leave by dawn break." And with that he took left the dining hall, wanting nothing to do with the stench nor visuals of it. His mind now focused on finding his sister. There would be no way she was to go anywhere with the Targaryen's.

...