Chapter 28

Twenty - Eight

Kingslanding - The Red Keep

"Is everything alright?" Arianne asked Rhaegar. He had been unusually quiet during their lunch the day before, left early and didn't bother showing up to dinner. Now at breakfast in the gardens, he seemed dazed as he looked ominously at the dainty flowers moving in the morning breeze.

He looked up at her and raised his brow. "Hmm?"

Arianne wondered if there was anything he was keeping from her, but chose not to pester him any more than she'd already had. Especially since she had been planning on asking him if she could bring over Lilia from Winterfell as her companion rather than handmaiden. Something Nymella and Penelope knew was going to be simply out of the question. "I was just saying, I wonder what Oberyn's going to do about his bastard situation."

Rhaegar shrugged, playing with his fruit platter and poking at his oranges gently. "Oberyn is probably the father of half of Dorne." Arianne gave him a pointed look and he rolled his eyes playfully. "I'm sure he's more worried about Merida causing a scene in his life than having a child to take care of."

She nodded her head, it had seemed that way the day before. He seemed unbothered by the prospect of a son or daughter, but rather told her he feared that if Merida's mother came here she would go crazy demanding Oberyn to do something and it would reflect badly on him if he didn't. "Well, speaking of children...I think it's high time I met Aegon and Rhaeyns don't you think?" She asked, treading lightly with her words. She had asked many times before and been rejected every single time.

Rhaegar racked his brain for what Elia might be doing, unsure if she would be in the nursery with them. "Alright." He eventually said, satisfied enough that he had left the silence to draw out enough. "After that, I have a very good friend of mine I'd like for you to meet."

"Oh, I feel special," Arianne smiled, taking the hand he had offered to her and standing from her seat.

The walk to the nursery was short, seeing as they were still in the Keep rather than another garden in the castle. The door to the nursey was heavy and when Rhaegar knocked on it, it made an unnaturally loud sound. "My brother might be in here, sometimes mother's ability to sneak him in to have a little time with his nephew and niece."

"Sneak him in?" Arianne asked, tapping her foot lightly as they waited for the door to open.

Rhaegar raised a brow at her, as if to say, it's okay if you've heard rumours. But before he could reassure her, the door was opened and squealing was heard from inside. In the nursery were two large cribs, almost the size of Arianne's bed in Winterfell, and musicians entertaining the children while wetnurses watched them closely. Hidden in corners of the room were four Kingsgaurd, each stood as still as the all.

"Talk about coddling," Arianne whispered. She followed Rhaegar into the room, his hand finding its way to her own and squeezing it reassuringly.

"Rhaeyns, why don't you come and say hello," he cooed waving his hand over to his daughter.

The little girl turned around, let go of the harp that she had a deadly grip on and ran into her fathers' arms. "Papa!" she squealed.

Arianne couldn't help but admire the little girl, she was chubby and had short black hair. Though one silver wisp flowed down, longer than the rest and was braided back. Her eyes, which Arianne assumed would be purple, were a brown. She looked quizzically at her. How odd it was that she inherited her mothers' eyes just as Arianne had. She bent down and smiled at Rhaenys. "Hello, there little one."

Rhaenys looked at her cautiously, poking her stubby finger into her eye. Arianne covered her eye with both hands wincing. "Rhaenys!" Rhaegar exclaimed, unable to keep the smile on his face a secret.