Chapter Twelve

The city of Camelot is beautiful, it is amazing and so much more. I'm not sure what I was expecting but this is far from anything I could have ever imagined. We pass houses and buildings and more buildings that are crafted in a way that I have never seen before. There are people walking everywhere, all sorts of clothing and costumes they are wrapped in. Many colors and styles that amaze and excite me. It doesn't take long until we get to the front of the castle, until I really got a good look at it, and it is hard to look away. It stands tall and majestic, mysterious like it holds many secrets which I'm sure it does. Guards and Knights alike stand around it, protecting it from everything around and most likely many from within.

We stop our horses and climb off. A young man walks quickly toward us and start grabbing the King's steed. He seems to be a servant or stable boy perhaps but the way the King talks to him is almost like they are the best of friends. Who is he? It sparks my curiosity and just as I am about to ask who he is when the King calls my name and takes my attention away from the young man with the raven feathered hair.

"Missione?" The King calls.

"Yes, my Lord." I answer formally with my eyes lowered.

"Gwaine will take you to see Guise, my physician. When he's had a look at your arm and if you feel up to it, come see me in my study."

I bow my head and he walks back to the castle as Sir Gwaine tells me to follow him. Follow I do through the side hallway of the castle and past a sign that tells where to find this physician, Guise. Butterfly's dance in my stomach as we walk, they get worse when he asks me, "How is it that a beautiful damsel like you has learned that much about how to use a sword?"

"I had a great teacher" I say thinking of Al, and the others, then that man which I quickly push away. I know that I won't be able to ignore it forever and that thought alone scares me and stirs deep guilt within me.

We come to a wooden door as I finish my answer and almost immediately Gwaine knocks on the door. A quick "Enter" is said by an older man's voice and we walk in. I feel awestruck as I take in the whole room that seems to be filled to the brim with books, odd potions and odd ingredients. This truly is amazing, if Al were here to see this, he would "Geek out." I remember that saying from a long time ago, before Camelot.

"What happened? Who's injured?" Says the same voice who told us to enter. I look over to find who the voice belongs to and find it to be an older man who is sitting on a bench by a table. He seems to be mixing some potions of some kind.

I don't have to answer because Sir Gwaine does, "We were riding when we came across some bandits. Missy, here was nearby and decided to help which was reckless and now she's injured."

"Reckless? I know I was a little reckless with the third guy, but I can bandage this up myself. I only need to clean the wound, apply lavender which is commonly around, and then bandage it up. I only came because the King asked of it." I explain, my pride wounded.

Sir Gwaine looks a little mad and impresed at my tone but Guise only nods his head, impressed and says, "You are right but let me take a look? My name is Guise."

I nod my head and he directs me to a chair for me to sit in. He instructs me to take of my cloak and roll up my sleeve, which I do with some difficulty. He looks at the gash then goes and fetches a basin full of water and cloth. He continues to clean my wound then apply the lavender and finally bandage it up after offering me some tea which I decline. I roll my ripped and slightly bloodied sleeve down but leave my cloak off as I get up ready for Sir Gwaine to take me to see the King.

....

We walk through the castle down many corridors. I try to memorize it all but it is difficult to do so. As we walk though I feel an awkward silence fall between us and I start to feel slightly bad for the tone I used with him, so I say, "I'm sorry."

"For what?" He asks a little smugly if I may say so.

"For the tone I used. My anger got the better of me and I'm sorry."

Neither of us says anything for a few minutes until I say what has been burning on the tip of my tongue the whole time we have been walking.

"We can be friends, you and I." I say, a new bundle of nerves erupting inside of me.

He looks over at me and smiles slightly before saying, "Is that all? Because we can go and get a few drinks after, huh? What do you say?"

I look at him trying to decipher his meaning behind it but upon not figuring it out I choose a safe answer and tell him, "I say, we can be friends."

He nods his head and we keep on walking, but not for long. Soon we are at a large door that Sir Gwaine knocks on as soon as we stop walking.

"Enter." Says the King's voice.

I obey and enter, closing the door of his study behind me after giving Gwaine a smile goodbye. I find the King sitting at a large table with maps, paper, quills and ink. He regards' me by looking up and saying, "Take a seat." I listen to him and sit in a seat a few down from him. It is surreal to think that I am sitting next to King Arthur of Camelot and only after I helped him and a few of his Knights. New nerves buzz in my bones.

After a minute or two of silence he puts his things away and looks up at me.

"Missione." He says looking deathly serious, making me more nervous. I immediately bite down on my bottom lip. "I saw what you did to the leader of those men and I saw the look in your eyes. I've seen it before. You were avenging someone weren't you?"

I don't say anything, I can't, and I am stuck, almost frozen.

"I won't ask anything more about it." He continues. "But I've seen men's minds eaten away by guilt of things they've done, especially something like that. I'm not here to punish you, I just want you to know that I'm here if you need help, or someone..." When he says the next part, he is clearly uncomfortable. "To talk with. I've been where you have been and it is not a good place to be."

"How so?" I can't help but asking as I look up briefly before my eyes down cast to the floor again.

"When I was younger there was a knight, one of the first true friends I ever obtained and he died by a horrible man. I later decided to track him and once I found him, I killed him in that moment without any mercy or remorse..."

The King looks up as I do and our eyes lock, emotions swirl in his that probably mirror my own.

"How did you get past it?"

"I didn't." He answers. "I will always remember the wrong I did that day but it helps me remember why I do the good I try to do this day and the next and the next. I am not the perfect King that many may think I am, and I have made a lot of mistakes but I learn and used what I've learned from yesterday for tomorrow."

"Thank you." I whisper as his words sink into me like quick sand, and I know now that I will never forget them.

"Now." He says leaning back into his chair. "My wife needs a new handmaiden, would you care to take that position?"

"Queen Guinevere?" I ask remembering her name.

"Yes."

A handmaiden? Me a handmaiden? I know nothing of that position. I hardly know how to take care of myself, let alone another person, let alone the Queen. But that is not the only reason I wish to say no. The other is that what I know is the art of swordsmanship, and that is what I wish to do the rest of my life. I want to be a Knight. I want to protect the King, Camelot, and its people. That does include the Queen, but not exclusively. I am no handmaiden. I am a Knight- Or at least that's what I want to be. But how can I refuse the King? How can I refuse King Arthur?

"I am sorry my Lord but I don't think I can. I'd much prefer to be fighting and doing good deeds out there for the people of this land then tend to the Queen. Not that it isn't a worthy portion, my Lord."

He seems a little unsettled by what I have said and denying him what he asks. I even feel unsettled by it. He appears to be thinking but finally says, "As you wish, and if you feel like training please feel free to do so with my Knights. They will share the training fields with you."

He turns his head from me as I felt joy and nerves throughout my body. Maybe becoming a Knight won't be as difficult as I thought.

As I bow then exit his study I whisper softly, "Thank you," once again.