Chapter Forty Seven

I open my eyes and am met with darkness and small amounts of light. I can feel the heat of a fire, and I can feel pain like a spider web spreading throughout me. It is not just where I have been wounded in the stomach, but also in my heart where the worst wounds are. It's so much pain I am already crying. Tears are falling and I can't seem to stop them. All I can see and think of is him. My brother. Mordred.

Arthur's face is suddenly in front of me, and he begins to speak. "Missione," He says, "How are you feeling? Are you warm enough?"

"Mordred." I say his name in a broken whisper. "My brother. You killed him."

Arthur's features turn from worry to sadness. "I am sorry Missione."

I nod my head as more tears fall. Some land on my lips making me taste the saltiness of them, and of the sadness. I am so tired, I realize. I could sleep for a very long time. I could sleep forever.

"Missione." Says Arthur's voice as my eyes drift close. "Missione, stay with me."

I am drifting away... And then I am shaking. Someone is shaking me. Pain starts to pierce into me and I find my eyes open as I gasp.

"Merlin, come take a look at her wound." Arthur says to what must be Merlin.

He is now in front of me. He is deathly serious.

"Merlin." I say. "You made it."

A ghost of a smile is on his features now. "I haven't gone anywhere."

I smile.

He is looking down at my stomach, at the wound, and he is no longer smiling.

"It is a mortal wound." It is not a question.

Merlin looks like he wants to agree, but then Arthur is speaking, disagreeing. "Don't be daft, Missione, it is hardly a scratch."

Arthur is in my view again. "We'll get you to Guise, and you will be fine."

I look up and meet Arthur's eyes. "I don't think so Arthur. I don't think so."

Darkness consumes me once again.

....

"Lamorak?" Asks a sweet voice from his right.

He turns and smiles as he sees her.

"Eira." He says. "How are you?"

"Okay, under the circumstances." She tells him, then admits, "I could be better."

Her own small smile is gone and looking down at the ground.

"I miss talking with my friends, or a friend, anyone really."

"You can talk to me." Lamorak tells her. "Why don't we go sit in the garden on the south side of the cathedral?"

Her smile is back as she nods her head. Lamorak is smiling as well as he offers his arm to her. She takes it and then they are walking to the garden.

....

"This can save her." Says a voice that is strangely like Merlin's.

"Are you sure, Merlin?" Asks another voice, one like Arthur.

"Yes, maybe." It is defiantly Merlin's, and the other must defiantly be Arthur's.

"What is it you speak off?" I ask as I open my increasingly tired eyes.

Arthur and Merlin are standing a little ways a way, but as soon as they hear me they are walk to me, and then are in front of me.

"There is a way to save you." Answers Merlin. "You aren't going to die."