Day Eight

As Ryder instructed, I stayed in the cave and rested.

My foot healed.

Monet and Ryder each bought me squirrel and rabbit and we roasted it over a fire.
I also ate some of my fried fruit.

No deaths in the last two days.
Roxy is obviously just busy keeping herself alive.

"Guys, we have to leave. The Careers have to be looking for me. I mean, Rosemarie would be dumb not to tell Rex, Patty, and Mavis that I killed Kobe. They'll be looking."
I said, eating a piece of rabbit.

Monet nodded, shyly.
"She's right."

"How about this. I've been out the most. So you and Monet can go and climb trees, doin whatever it is y'all do and find the Careers. When the coast is clear, come back and notify me."

I looked at Monet and she gave me a look that said: I guess it's not a bad idea.

I shrugged. "Alright."

"And you're sure your leg is completely healed?" Ryder asked.

"Ryder, you know me. I'm tough. My leg is fine. It hurts every now and then but I'll be fine. Really."

Ryder nodded. "Alright. Just...be careful."

I could tell he was worried.
"I'll be okay."

I walked out of the cave, grabbing my backpack and weapons as Monet followed.

We walked about half a mile and decided to sit down.

"I saw what you did for your sister. That was really brave."
I said.

She shrugged.
"Ava? She's only 13. I couldn't let her go through this."

I smiled. "You have any other siblings?"

She nodded.
"An older sister. Karielle. She's 19."

"Which is easier? Older or younger?"

She shrugged. "The older ones get mad at you a lot but they look out for you. The younger ones you want to get mad at but they want to be like you. I don't know. I love them both. What about you?"

"I have an older Brother. Clayton. He's a year older than me."

"How old are you?" She asked.

"Seventeen. What about you? Seventeen? Sixteen?"

She shook her head. "Fifteen."

"You're Fifteen? You look older."

She laughed.
"Thanks for being my ally. I've never really had any friends back at home."

I smiled. "You're welcome. I've had a few. There was this one girl, Althea, we weren't that close but...I still counted her as a friend. She got killed in the 65th. The There's Finnick and Ryder. They'll always be my best friends. Now I have you. Finnick told me to be on my own or try to. That's what I wanted to do but he said you'd be a good ally."

She smiled. "I like your necklace."

"Thanks. Wait..." I whispered.
"Which one?"

She looked closer realizing I had two and chuckled. "The first one is beautiful."

"Clayton gave me it. Finnick gave me this one."
I opened the locket revealing the pictures of my mom, Clayton, and Finnick.
"He said to remember who I'm fighting for."

She nodded and smiled at the pictures. "Is that your mom?"

"Yes."

Monet looked at me then at the picture.

"She's beautiful. I think you have her hair. You have Clayton's eyes."

I laughed.
"Thanks. Everyone says that."

I was about to say something when I heard a noise.

I quickly looked around.
I pointed at a tree and Monet climbed it.

I climbed in the one across from it.

It was Roxy. She was walking around slowly, looking around.

I could tell she was looking for food. She looked different. I guess she sinked her hair in mud for camouflage or something because her hair was no longer blonde, it  was muddy brown.

She looked around until she found some berries. They looked different. I looked at Monet and her eyes were huge.

"Nightlock." She mouthed.

Nightlock. The berries were Nightlock. Once they touched your taste buds, you'd be dead before you could swallow them.
She should be smart enough to see that.

She studied the berries for a while.

I looked at Monet.
"Should be kill her?" I mouthed.

Monet shrugged.
"If she doesn't kill herself first."

I slowly and quietly pulled out an arrow and fixed it onto my bow. I pulled it back and studied her.

Roxy found out the berries were Nightlock and was about to walk away when my arrow nailed her in the back.

Her cannon fired. I jumped down from the tree and Monet slowly climbed down.

"The berries were in a pile. There's none else around. Do you think..."
I gave Monet a look.

"You don't think one of the Careers or...all of them set out a pile to trick someone do you?" I asked her.

"I think you're right." said a voice behind me.

Another laughed.

I turned around spotting Mavis and Patty.

Where is Ryder?! If he heard a cannon he'd be too worried thinking I died and come out to check.

Mavis held a spear and Patty grabbed the arrow from Roxy's back.

"Shouldn't you be with the others?" I asked in a cocky tone.

Monet was as white as a ghost.

I pulled an arrow and was about to shoot Mavis when the spear went through Monet's stomach.

I started tearing up as I aimed the arrow at Mavis' face but dropped it when Patty through an arrow into my leg.

I let it a squeal as I fell to the ground.

I couldn't give up,  though.

I picked up my bow and shot an arrow through Patty's head.

The cannon fired.

Mavis turned around, spotting Ryder running with a knife and she ran off.

I winced in pain. "Monet..."
I said as tears filled my eyes.

"Brooklynn...move on. You have to get out of here. The Careers will find you. Pl-please. You have to win. You have to. And when you do, tell my dad and my sisters I love them. Don't let them starve."
She cried.

"Okay."

She closed her eyes.

Tears fell down my cheeks.

I looked at my leg.

The last thing I heard was a cannon before i totally black out.