Day Twelve

•Finnick's POV•
Brook had been blacked out for four days. I didn't know how an arrow in the leg could cause so much drowsiness.

I hoped she woke up soon. There was only five left.

I felt bad about Monet.
She was a good kid.
Brook seemed to really like her.

I sent some medicine for her leg and it healed but she was still out. The medicine wouldn't kick for another ten minutes probably.

She would have to eat a lot and find water. They stayed in the same cave, Ryder camouflaged it a little better. Now you couldn't even see anything. He painted the leaves and sticks so you would just think there was a rock. A few more people after Roxy, Monet, and Patty died in the last four days.

She's already been in the Games for a week and five days.  She was so close to winning. Which meant...
Ryder was so close to dying...

•Brook's POV•
I was sitting in a tree. Scars on my leg. I thought it was safe.
I looked down to see Monet.

"Monet?" I asked. But she was dead...

"Why Brook? Why kill me?"

"I...i didn't kill you."

"Yes. You did. If you win the games, that can only mean one thing. You killed them all! You're the reason everyone is dead! You're the reason I'm dead! You're the reason Ryder is gonna die!"

***

Next thing I know, I'm screaming and Ryder is shaking me.

"Brook! Brook! Hey, it's okay.
You're okay.
It was just a dream."

I started to cry.

"How long have I been out?"

"Four days." He said, roasting a squirrel.
"Here. You need to eat."

I ate two squirrels and a rabbit and some water from a tree.

"Any more deaths?" I asked.

"Yeah. Rex snapped Mavis' neck for not killing either of us and Rosemarie didn't want that to happen so she's on her own. Your leg is healed. We need to get going."

"Wait...how do you know about Mavis and Rosemarie?"

"Saw Rosemarie walking while I was hunting and heard her talking to herself. All we have to do is kill Rosemarie then we can kill Rex."

"Ryder...it can't come down to me and you. I'm not letting that happen."

"We'll see." Said Ryder as he grabbed my backpack and handed it to me.

Now I had four knives.

I walked out of the cave and held my bow and arrow in position just in case Rosemarie came out.

"Where was she?" I asked.

"Around here."

"You think we can camp in a tree?"
I asked.

"You can. Imma camouflage myself."

I shrugged.

For the next half hour we walked around until it got dark.

We stopped when we heard a cannon.

The hovercraft was only a fourth mile away.

"It's not that far. Lets camp here. Can you camouflage fast?"

He nodded and went to work as I climbed the nearest tree and set up my rope and sleeping bag.

I then fell into a deep sleep.

***

I woke up to The Fallen playing.

Mavis. I guess she died earlier today.

I fell back asleep and when I woke up it was around 1:00 in the afternoon.

"Ryder! Ryder!" I whisper-shouted.

I couldn't see him so I was glad he hid well.

I looked down at a tree and randomly eyes appeared.
I stifled a laugh.

I miss Finnick, I thought.
Rosemarie's gonna die. And then most likely Ryder and before I know it, I'll be fighting Rex. It'll be useless.

I then remember.

••FLASHBACK••
"Remember what I said. The bow is your first priority! Win! You have to win! Promise me!"

I stepped into the tube.

"Promise me!" Finnick yelled.

"I promise!" I shouted back.

"And know I'll always l-."

The tube shut him off.
       ••FLASHBACK OVER••

I looked down at the necklace Clayton gave me.
I remembered his last words.

"I want you to have this. You can win these games. I know you can. Because you're tough. And you're strong. You can do this. You're gonna win! I believe in you!"

I sighed. "Ryder we have to get moving. The Cornucopia. Most likely Rex will kill Rose and then he'll head to the Cornuc-."

I stopped talking.

"Brook?"

"Don't move. There's a mutt."

"A mutt?!" Ryder screamed and quickly brought his hands to his face.

"No!" I screamed as I shot an arrow through the mutt.

Where's a trident when I need one?

The mutts can't climb the tree.

"Stay up there."

"But Ryder, they'll-."

"I know. But I want you to win. Your mom wants you to win. Your brother needs you. And most of all Finnick needs you."

"What? Finnick? He needs me?"

"Oh my gosh, Brook! As if it isn't already obvious. Do you not see the way that boy looks at-. Ahh!"

A mutt bit into his leg.
"Ryder!" I shot the mutt.

Many more came. I shot them until I was out of arrows.

Crap!

I threw my knives at four but it was too late. They had already gotten a hold of Ryder.

"Ryder, no!! No, please!" I cried uncontrollably.

A cannon fired. But it wasn't Ryder's. It had to be Rosemarie.

I closed my eyes and next time I open them, the mutts are gone (except for the dead ones on the ground), and Ryder lies on the ground.

I hurriedly stuffed my rope and sleeping bag into my back pack and jumped from the tree. I grabbed each arrow and each knife from the dead mutts, stuffing them in my arrow holding thing and my belt.

I sat down beside Ryder.
"Are you awake?" I cried.
"Ryder please. You can't..."

A tear fell from my face onto his rubbing off the camouflage.

"Brook. Finnick will most likely send you a tr-trident. For the next few days, you need to hide. And then you run to the Cornucopia.
Y-you can defeat Rex. I know you can."

He squeezed my hand and soon his grip loosened and his cannon fired.

I screamed. "Damn it, Snow!! Why have these games?!"

After a few minutes, my face dried up and I collected my stuff and moved to another tree closer to the Cornucopia so the hovercraft could pick up Ryder.

This was it. It was time to become a warrior.