Chapter One

Hey, Doug DiCarto here.

Hope you don't mind me emailing you, but I got your email address from a mutual contact after your impressive collaboration with DJ Skint on Chaser of Dreams.

I'm currently working on a new track, and I think your vocals would be absolutely awesome on it, hence the email.

I'm in Ibiza for pretty much the whole of the summer, but would love to hook up with you so we can talk about that collaboration.

If you fancy it, you could come for the weekend (I'll foot the bill of course), so we can seriously talk about making some sweet dance music together (I know you're smiling right now about that terrifically bad cheesy line).

Anyway, email me back...so we can get this project moving.

D x

After getting that email on Monday, I am surprisingly on a plane to Ibiza by the Friday. And even though I have boarded this plane, I am still so full of doubt over my decision to meet with Doug DiCarto.

It's not a decision I made lightly, that's for sure.

In the EDM scene, Doug DiCarto has a godlike status.

He produces, he DJ's, he performs—he's the whole amazing package.

He creates magic at the helm of the decks and euphoria on the dance floor. He was huge on the underground scene for many years, until his catchy collaboration with the pop songstress, Gaia.

It was down to their evocative techno song together, that catapulted his commercial career into the worldwide hemisphere. He's now a resident DJ at Revival in Ibiza during the summer and travels the world to produce new music when he's not in London with DiCarto Records, his very own record label.

So yeah, Doug DiCarto is a very big deal to me.

"Frankie Fenner, will you please just take a chill pill?" Nancy, my rather bossy friend is now scowling at me.

Scowling back, I awkwardly shift in my seat. "I'm just nervous." Is my whiny reply. When Nancy is being bossy like this, I really wonder why I asked her to come along for moral support, because she's not giving me anything of the sort.

"Hun, this is such a great opportunity for you." I also hate it when Nancy is also very right.

This really is a great opportunity. An amazing opportunity. But it's an opportunity I just don't think I am ready for. One that I doubt I'll ever be ready for.

"I know it is." Quietly falls from my tense and guilty throat.

How can I tell Nancy that I am terrified?

How can I tell her that I just don't think I can do this?

Nancy is a singer herself, and she would literally kill for this chance to work with Doug DiCarto. And in some ways, I really wish it was her being given this chance and not me.

It's taken me a long time to get to this point. There was a time when I didn't think I would ever sing another note. There was a time when I thought my singing career was all but over. But singing is all I know. It's in me. It's who I am. So when I began singing again, I chose my jobs wisely; working with lesser known DJ's and musicians. Because I was being wise, I had to work part time as a support worker for adults with learning difficulties. In essence, I had to start my career all over again. I had lost my confidence and then my weight, so it's been all about taking baby steps.

Which is why Doug DiCarto wanting to collaborate with me, has kind of thrown everything up in the air.

Doug DiCarto is high profile.

Doug DiCarto is in the EDM limelight.

Doug DiCarto is not baby steps.

He has the pick of the bunch when it comes to singers...so why me?

**The video above is: PLAYING WITH FIRE - RVRS**